Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   new growth of catasetum (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/93224-growth-catasetum.html)

jrguevar 02-21-2017 11:49 PM

new growth of catasetum

1 Attachment(s)
Hello people,
It was up until this year that I consciously noticed the growing and rest period of my catasetum, but Im still not sure when is the time (not calendar one, since it varies way too much) in which you notice in the plant each period starts and ends so; What do you think, would this be the time to start watering/fertilizing my catasetum?...

Roberta 02-22-2017 12:34 AM

Wait until the roots are 3"-4" (7 - 10 cm) before watering. It is very tempting to start when you see new growth - resist the temptation. The new leaves should be well open (when they are still in a tight little tube, water can be trapped and cause rot) There are detailed notes on the website of Sunset Valley Orchids, its owner Fred Clarke has done much work with the Catasetinae group.
Sunset Valley Orchids - Catasetinae Culture

bil 02-22-2017 05:17 AM

There's a thread on this in the Catasetum section.

Rothrock42 02-23-2017 01:02 PM

Thanks for the advice. I just noticed mine has about 1/4 growth too. It is still in the pot with last years sphagnum. I'm wondering about potting on. How do you do that without water? And I would think I should do that now before any roots start or the pseudobulb gets bigger.

Roberta 02-23-2017 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothrock42 (Post 833366)
Thanks for the advice. I just noticed mine has about 1/4 growth too. It is still in the pot with last years sphagnum. I'm wondering about potting on. How do you do that without water? And I would think I should do that now before any roots start or the pseudobulb gets bigger.

New damp sphagnum is fine - and now is a good time to repot, before the root growth (especially if it looks like it might outgrow the pot) Just don't add any more water after you pot, and it will dry out in a few days. As far as the old sphagnum is concerned,, remove what you can but don't worry about what might be left in the middle of the plant. If some old roots get damaged, no problem, they aren't doing much anyway. It's the new ones that will support the plant in the coming season.

Rothrock42 02-23-2017 03:45 PM

So soak and rinse the sphag like I normally would. Wring it dry and maybe even spread it out for a bit just to let it air out. Remove as much of the old media as I can, and then pack it back in with some slow release and such and stuff. I think I can handle that.

Thanks for the advice.

bil 02-23-2017 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rothrock42 (Post 833399)
So soak and rinse the sphag like I normally would. Wring it dry and maybe even spread it out for a bit just to let it air out. Remove as much of the old media as I can, and then pack it back in with some slow release and such and stuff. I think I can handle that.

Thanks for the advice.

To get mine dry-ish fast, I wet some as normal, then put some dry in the bottom of the bowl, and cover it with the damp.
The next day it is JUST damp enough.

Roberta 02-23-2017 11:21 PM

I don't think it's particularly critical to get it dry (just not dripping) Since it is around the roots, there's no danger of getting water in the new growth (as one would with pouring water) If not packed too tightly, it will dry out quickly.

jrguevar 02-23-2017 11:42 PM

Thank you all for answering my post! Im really glad to have some feedback on my simple question, which I suppose is to "still no watering", is kind of hard, your impulse is new growth=water! All my catasetum are mounted, never actually tried potting one since the leaves are so big I think they look better this way and allows me to check on the roots easier (although is harder to keep moist)

bil 02-24-2017 05:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jrguevar (Post 833443)
Thank you all for answering my post! Im really glad to have some feedback on my simple question, which I suppose is to "still no watering", is kind of hard, your impulse is new growth=water! All my catasetum are mounted, never actually tried potting one since the leaves are so big I think they look better this way and allows me to check on the roots easier (although is harder to keep moist)

Can you post a pic? Only I would be interested to see that.