Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Connoisseur's corner (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/)
-   -   Making Kombuch, Kimchee, and Wine! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/92965-kombuch-kimchee-wine.html)

Optimist 01-31-2017 08:10 PM

Making Kombuch, Kimchee, and Wine!

Hi, I have gone to the wonderful world of fermented foods. I was a bit worried while making Kombucha but after a few batches feel like an old pro. I am making 2 gallons of melomiel (fruit/honey wine), Vinegar, and Kimchee. Fairly soon I will be getting tempeh starter as well, so I can experiment with that. This next year I will start some blackberry plants. I love them so much. They are my favorite wine making fruit.

Any one else experiment with fermenting?

Leafmite 01-31-2017 08:20 PM

Sounds like you have found a great hobby! :)

charlesf6 01-31-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist (Post 830906)

Any one else experiment with fermenting?

...well, maybe on the other end of it. :blushing:

Paphluvr 01-31-2017 08:27 PM

I've done kimchee and sauerkraut before but that's about it other than bread stuffs (which I don't think you had in mind when you mentioned fermented foods).

estación seca 02-01-2017 11:53 AM

Mead! With Champagne yeast it can get bone dry, which is how I like it.

vpsihop@hotmail.com 02-01-2017 12:24 PM

Wine and beer. There's an Italian couple that brings in grapes every year to their wine making supply store. Estacion, I agree on the mead, I prefer it very dry.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Subrosa 02-01-2017 12:41 PM

All the time. Beer, wine, mead, and on occasion I've been known to dabble in distillation. Mead generally takes quite a while to be drinkable. The chokecherry mead I make takes about 6 months of secondary fermentation to get ready to drink and another few months in the bottle improves it greatly. And that's the one that's ready soonest. A ginger mead I made took close to 2 years to get to the same point. Making mead is not a hobby for those lacking patience.

estación seca 02-01-2017 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 830963)
...Making mead is not a hobby for those lacking patience.

Like growing orchids.

My grandparents bought me a Gilbert chemistry set when I was 9. The instruction book included a discussion of distillation, and explained how to make ethanol. While my grandparents enjoyed my quiet absence in the basement, performing chemistry experiments, I fermented a potato and distilled vodka. (Polish ancestry.) It was awful.

Subrosa 02-01-2017 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 830973)
Like growing orchids.

My grandparents bought me a Gilbert chemistry set when I was 9. The instruction book included a discussion of distillation, and explained how to make ethanol. While my grandparents enjoyed my quiet absence in the basement, performing chemistry experiments, I fermented a potato and distilled vodka. (Polish ancestry.) It was awful.

A few years ago I attempted to duplicate the original Pernod recipe for absinthe. I bet it was worse.

fishmom 02-01-2017 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 830963)
Making mead is not a hobby for those lacking patience.

:rofl: Just like orchids! It must be a thing!

Oops--X-posted with estacion seca.