Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pet Depot (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/)
-   -   My discus tanks (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/92796-discus-tanks.html)

Greenpots 01-12-2017 09:56 PM

My discus tanks

9 Attachment(s)
Here are my previous tanks and I only 300 tank left.

charlesf6 01-12-2017 10:00 PM

:clap: Exquisitely done. & good :photo:

orchidsarefun 01-12-2017 10:26 PM

I love Discus.
Do they want to pair off and breed in the tank?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

estación seca 01-12-2017 11:16 PM

WOW! If you can breed Discus orchids will seem easy.

Greenpots 01-13-2017 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by orchidsarefun (Post 829228)
I love Discus.
Do they want to pair off and breed in the tank?

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

They are my babies.

They do pair up and lay eggs in the tank. The hatch rate is low and others will snack frys.

Tindomul 01-19-2017 11:38 AM

Wow!!! Gorgeous. I spent several months last year reading everything I could about Discus. I watched as many youtube videos on them and am so bitten by the Discus bug. However, I cannot have Discus because I live in an apartment that does not allow for aquariums larger than 10 gallons. Your Discus are beautiful!!!! For me personally I would choose more with green and blue shades and leopard pattern. But the wild green with the prominent vertical stripes floor me every time. The Discus in your third pic are my faves. Is there a Discus that you don't have you really really want?

Greenpots 01-20-2017 02:19 PM

It took me awhile to collect them from Malaysia and German. It was fun to breed and raise them. Too bad, i can't set up in my new place. I only keep enough for 1 tank and it was hard to let them go when i moved.

u bada 01-20-2017 02:51 PM

Really beautiful, a true achievement to have such success with these fish!

Yes, always wanted to have some myself, but alas have always been an apartment dweller as well...

Paphluvr 01-20-2017 03:17 PM

Very nice. Are these different species or just color varieties through selective breeding? I never tried discus, just breed several species of gouramis.

Salixx 01-20-2017 08:58 PM

Absolutely beautiful fish. You've clearly given them a great home, they want to have babies! Your 300g is beautifully scaped too.

Quote:

Are these different species or just color varieties through selective breeding?
There's only two species of discus in the wild, one I think has a few subspecies. I believe the majority of discus bred in captivity have come from one species, Symphysodon aequifacsiata... it's been a while since I have been "involved" though. My brother and I as late teens were a tad obsessed.

I never had anything fancy, personally since I was a broke teen but did give them a go. I do miss them and hope to have a small shoal again some day. I would want a house first though... I have one 38g and one 5gal tank and they are a pain to move with, I don't want to think about moving a bigger tank... not sure my landlord would approve of a bigger one either..