Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Searching for Epicattleya photos. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/91852-searching-epicattleya-photos.html)

FairyInTheFlowers 10-06-2016 09:57 PM

Searching for Epicattleya photos.

One of the areas I'm interested in breeding is the vibrantly coloured, rosy hued reed stem Epidendrums to the art shade, sunset tone mini-Catts that we have a lot of nowadays. However, I'm having difficulties finding what these primaries would look like. I'm mostly trying to figure out what the plant growth habit would look like, and if the non-resupinate flower is dominant over the "upside down" flowers of the Epidendrums. If any of you have pictures of such crosses and are willing to share them, that would make me one happy camper. Thanks for your help!

WhiteRabbit 10-07-2016 09:10 PM

:bump:

voyager 12-02-2016 02:38 AM

Drop " Epicattleya " into a Google image search.

A fair number of photos of Epicattleya flowers and plants come up.
Maybe not specific to what you're looking for, but they will give you some idea as to what a variety can come from the cross.

Cym Ladye 12-02-2016 11:25 AM

The top breeder of epis in the US, is Cal-Orchid in Santa Barbara, CA. Check their FB page or website. I do not know if they have done any breeding in the direction you are heading, but you may get some ideas.

Fairorchids 12-12-2016 09:54 AM

I asked Fred Clarke about this type of breeding a couple of years ago. He advised against it, as 'they all look like Epis', which apparently is very dominant.

I have recently acquired (but not yet bloomed) the antique Epiphronitis Veitchii (today Epicattleya Veitchii), if you google this, you can see how Epidendrum radicans dominates Sophronitis coccinea - in particular in the plant structure.

Orchid Whisperer 12-12-2016 12:03 PM

See the following for Epicattleya Charlie Brown:

http://www.orchidboard.com/community...lie-brown.html

Fairorchids 12-12-2016 04:59 PM

Epicattleya Charlie Brown is now Enanthleya Charlie Brown, since Epidendrum cordigera has been changed to Encyclia cordigera.

Opening post refers to reed stem Epis.

FairyInTheFlowers 12-17-2016 01:14 PM

Yes, I was interested in the reed stems, but I do plan on doing intergeneric work with Encyclia as well. Honestly, any pictures of anything or of worth as they will help me learn more about the dynamic of Laeliinae breeding.

JungleMel 12-17-2016 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheBlazingAugust (Post 826827)
Yes, I was interested in the reed stems, but I do plan on doing intergeneric work with Encyclia as well. Honestly, any pictures of anything or of worth as they will help me learn more about the dynamic of Laeliinae breeding.

I can take as many photos from as many angles as you'd like of an Epicyclia Serena O' Neil, [(Encyclia cordigera x Epidendum densiflorum) x Encyclia cordigera] if that is of any interest to you. It's wacky looking as the addition of Epidendrum creates a strange long fat-ish pseudobulb, despite the amount of Encyclia in that mix.

FairyInTheFlowers 12-17-2016 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JungleMel (Post 826857)
I can take as many photos from as many angles as you'd like of an Epicyclia Serena O' Neil, [(Encyclia cordigera x Epidendum densiflorum) x Encyclia cordigera] if that is of any interest to you. It's wacky looking as the addition of Epidendrum creates a strange long fat-ish pseudobulb, despite the amount of Encyclia in that mix.

I am immensely interested in this kind of cross, thank you!!! Yeah, pictures of the pseudobulbs and flowers would be much appreciated! :biggrin: