Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   Need help picking fishing line. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/91660-help-picking-fishing-line.html)

Tindomul 09-20-2016 12:15 AM

Need help picking fishing line.

What kind of fishing line do you use. I go to amazon.com and can't find good descriptions of the stuff. The pictures don't always show the line itself and since I have never gone fishing a day in my life, some of the descriptions minus well be in a different language. I saw some said braided, stay away from that, I saw pictures of some that are coloured, and I saw some that say weights on them. I'm guess thats to do with how strong they are. Well, I figured I needed help, so help!

Also I need to get it online because they closed my nearby sports authority, then I called the other one near me and the models, and they all said I had to drive out to Long Island if I wanted fishing line in their stores. I've never actually noticed a fisherman's supply store, so that leaves me the internet. Plus I realized that if I had just ordered it online two weeks ago when I saw that I needed some, I would have had it by now.

fishmom 09-20-2016 12:37 AM

You want plain old monofilament, not colored, in a heavy weight so it doesn't cut into the plant. Twenty lbs. or more, I would say.

I've heard that some people use strips of nylons to tie mounts. Maybe more available in New York :)?

AnonYMouse 09-20-2016 12:37 AM

I don't use fishing lines but wanted you to check Walmart. I'm pretty sure they have it.

FWIW, I use net bags for onions/babybels.

Pattywack 09-20-2016 12:48 AM

I use fishing line, my husbands and I believe it's 8lbs. I also use a wire made for plants. The wire is fairly thin and green, Walmart has it as well as some craft stores like Michaels. It works well but I resort to thread a lot of the time. Thread is easy to use and over time it just rots away if it's cotton.

katrina 09-20-2016 07:22 AM

I used to use fishing line but found it awkward and it could cut into roots if too tight. I now use the cloth wrapped wire used for floral arranging or cable zip ties -they are so much easier to get a secured hold. Most frequently...the zip ties - they come in different sizes and I find them to be the easiest to work with. Plus easy to find just about anywhere and they come in black and clear.

Ray 09-20-2016 07:39 AM

Or... Get some coconut husk fiber, lay it laterally across the base of the plant and roots, and use a staple gun to affix the ends to the mount on either side. When the plant is suitably attached, pluck out the staples and you're done.

Tindomul 09-20-2016 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonYMouse (Post 816124)
I don't use fishing lines but wanted you to check Walmart. I'm pretty sure they have it.

FWIW, I use net bags for onions/babybels.

Sorry, there is no walmart in NYC.

---------- Post added at 09:59 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:56 AM ----------

Ok, thanks for the help. I did not realize I had to look for the words monofilament and 8lbs or more. So I ended up getting this:

https://www.amazon.com/Sufix-Elite-F...b+fishing+line

estación seca 09-20-2016 11:57 AM

Dental floss works well. It more flexible and much easier to work with than fishing line. Some of it is green.

Leafmite 09-20-2016 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 816165)
Dental floss works well. It more flexible and much easier to work with than fishing line. Some of it is green.

That is what I have been using! It works really well!

Tindomul 09-20-2016 01:38 PM

These are great alternatives guys, keep them coming. You never know when you are in a pinch.
About 8 years ago I mounted a Phal using green thread. I can't believe I forgot how to be innovative.