Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   I love a challenge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/90429-love-challenge.html)

Rothrock42 05-22-2016 12:16 PM

I love a challenge

Picked up a Euchile mariea. The back bulbs looked pretty dead or dead-adjacent. There are two new growths starting so I was optimistic. I like to know what I'm working so I usually repot when I get home. Took her out of the media and found that there were no roots.

http://www.orchidboard.com/community...m/IMG_0383.JPG

I would like to try and save her. I gave her a 30 minute or so soak in some superthrive and was planning to do the sphag and bag. Put somewhere warmish (mid-70s day high to mid-60 at night) with medium light and wait and see.

The other thing I was thinking of was just to give her a 5 to 10 minute dunk/soak every morning.

Does that sound like a possibly effective course?

Assuming I can get some roots going, I was then planning to mount on cork bark or in a small sideways hanging wood slat basket.

I know that it is probably a lost cause, but I love a challenge. So if anybody has tips or suggestions please share.

jcec1 05-22-2016 01:00 PM

Can you return it?

Rothrock42 05-22-2016 01:04 PM

jcec1 - Why would I want to do that? I purchased it (for just a couple dollars) for the purpose of trying to save it!

estación seca 05-22-2016 01:08 PM

If you don't cut off the rotting back bulbs, the rot will continue to spread and kill the whole plant. In fact, the rot may already be in the newest growth and the plant may already be doomed.

If you want to save it, get out a knife. Don't stop cutting and sterilizing until you have healthy green tissue.

There are decent roots on the newest pseudobulb. Regular watering and high humidity will give it the best chance of survival. I would not put it into media. Put it into a glass jar with a thimble of water not in contact with the plant, and cover the jar to keep humidity high. Take it out every few days to water, then let dry, then return to the jar. Keep it in bright shade. The plant comes from areas with strong day-night temperature swings, so it would be good if you give it this as well.

Rothrock42 05-22-2016 01:26 PM

Thanks for the advice.

In the past I've had some plants with a soft and squish rotten back bulb, but these are hard and dry. I should still cut them off because of the black color? That is the sign?

Can I use physan (which I have handy) or something else to sterilize the cuts? I've read about using cinnamon as a powder or a paste.

Is there a reason you recommend glass? I was thinking maybe one of those semi-disposable clear plastic containers. Should still get some good diffuse light and keep the humidity in.

I can put it in my "warm" room mid 70s up to low 80s during the day. And on the window sill in my bedroom at night for low to mid 60s. That should give it a good temp swing.

I realize that it might just be a lost cause, but trying is fun. The upside is VERY rewarding and the downside is very small -- well for me it is very small, kinda awful for her.

estación seca 05-22-2016 01:50 PM

Even if hard, I would cut them off. With this high-humidity treatment, dead tissue may promote growth of harmful organisms. I know some people say to leave the hard pseudobulbs on the plant, to minimize the risk of damaging the good part. I don't have actual data guiding what to do in this situation so I go with a preference.

I was referring to sterilizing the blade between cuts. Use 10% household bleach or 70% isopropyl alcohol. Rots tend to be bacterial or fungal, not viral, and these solutions kill such organisms. It's harder to kill virus particles.

When you are done cutting, you could put some cinnamon powder or sulfur powder on the final cut surface to try and prevent further infection. There's no point putting the antifungal on interim cuts. I haven't studied physan but I suspect it doesn't last long when applied, and the cinnamon or sulfur will provide long-lasting antifungal action.

Plastic would work well, too. I like glass because it's easier to see what's inside without opening. Out of sight, out of mind.

wintergirl 05-22-2016 02:32 PM

If they are hard and not squishy I would leave them. That is just me though. I figure why stress the plant out further, especially if nothing is spreading. I think it can make it. You have new growth and some green in some back bulbs. You take care of it how you feel is best. The plant will tell you as it responds to whatever you are doing.

bil 05-22-2016 02:39 PM

I would clean out any squishy or worrying bits, dust the wounds with Mancozeb powder (it is a brilliant fungicide) and then I would wire it onto a mount if that was the idea.

Make sure there is a bit of moss around the bulb bases, and let it do its stuff.

Spray it twice or three times a day and keep an eye on it.

Leafmite 05-22-2016 02:48 PM

I don't know what to say about the darker pseudobulbs. Due to some experiences I have had, I usually remove this sort of thing. However, wintergirl seems to have had different, positive experiences and so I might be a little too cautious.

With the green pseudobulbs, and the warm growing season ahead, you should not have much problem saving it. It looks like most of the orchids that were available locally when I first started the hobby. :| Good luck!

wintergirl 05-22-2016 03:36 PM

That big bulb in front has what looks to be green root tips to me. Not sure what that small round black thing is, old cut off bulb? Definetly get rid of anything rotting, cinnamon to the cuts. Me, I tend to not distrub the plant too much unless something bad is spreading. Also as was said above, mount or tie the plant in place even in a pot. Roots won't grow if they are constantly moving around.