Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Semi-Hydroponic Culture (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/)
-   -   Anyone growing Cattleya nobilior s/h? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/semi-hydroponic-culture/90134-growing-cattleya-nobilior.html)

Subrosa 05-03-2016 05:24 AM

Anyone growing Cattleya nobilior s/h?

My C. nobilior is in need of repotting. I'm weighing my options while the current bloom plays out, but once new growth starts I need to be ready. I originally planned to mount it, but the easy maintenance of s/h is always attractive. Can anyone relate any firsthand experience with this species in s/h? Thanks!

estación seca 05-03-2016 12:32 PM

Bump, plus avidly awaiting another response.

snowflake311 05-03-2016 03:23 PM

What I have heard is that they take longer to adjust to the S/H but once they have all new roots they do fine but it takes some time. I will not be putting my Catts in S/h. But I did just put an Encyclia Cordigera in S/H. Most of its old root were dead or almost gone. I have new roots growing so it is doing ok. It has only been a week but it is doing fine.

That is just what I have heard from others. I think part of it is affected by your growing conditions too.

Ray 05-03-2016 04:38 PM

The key to getting any plant "adjusted" to S/H culture is timing: repot just as new roots are emerging from the base of the plant. Also, expect all existing roots to die, but if you repotted at the right time, the those new roots will quickly replace them.

You can accelerate the process by applying a KelpMax solution for the first few waterings.

Optimist 05-04-2016 08:32 AM

I "saved" about 4 cattleyas in Semi Hydro about a year ago. I got the roots growing again and then I transfered them to a regular lava/bark mix.

Leafmite 05-04-2016 02:04 PM

Here is an interesting link...
Tips For Growing Vandas and Their Relatives : orchid dynasty

It shows a technique that isn't quite semi-hydroponics but it seems to work for orchids that like plenty of air to their roots.

You could also plant it in red lava rock and a plastic Vanda basket. The rock keeps humid air around the roots and you won't need to water as often as a mounted orchid. I find red lava rock and a basket-type pot has worked very well for my Cattleyas that like watered well but need to dry quickly. I tried using LECA but I have returned to red lava rock for most of my orchids.

Optimist 05-05-2016 04:59 PM

Lava rock is very nice because it holds on to moisture in all those tiny pits and pockets. I like it because it costs about 4-5 dollars a big bag at any garden center in the landscaping department. You can add it to any mix, like lava and spag, lava and bark. I like lava. Real fan here!!!

Leafmite 05-05-2016 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Optimist (Post 802934)
Lava rock is very nice because it holds on to moisture in all those tiny pits and pockets. I like it because it costs about 4-5 dollars a big bag at any garden center in the landscaping department. You can add it to any mix, like lava and spag, lava and bark. I like lava. Real fan here!!!

I am a fan of it, too. It was the first medium that allowed my orchids to thrive. :)

isurus79 05-05-2016 11:53 PM

I've got one successfully growing in s/h, but have killed or seriously hurt all the others I've tried this way (which are many). If you try doing this, tie down your plant and don't water until the roots are at least 2 inches long. You can give the plant an occasional spritz when the roots haven't reached the appropriate length to water.

A lot of nobilior and walkeriana will send only a few roots out as the new growth is forming. The problem is that a lot of the time, the new roots grow straight across the media and don't dive downwards.

I can post pics of my nobilior in s/h when I get home. In the mean time, here is my first attempt at s/h with walkeriana. It was a successful effort, which eventually produced 6 new growths in a single growing season. However, when I repotted the plant (due to monstrous growth!), I lost it because it wasn't secured to the new pot well enough. This is no fault of the media and was entirely my screw-up. https://farm3.staticflickr.com/2270/...971f6a86_b.jpgCattleya walkeriana #1 by Stephen Van Kampen-Lewis, on Flickr

Growing nobilior and walkeriana can be done with great success, but there is considerable risk. Try it first with a plant you don't care about. Also, be VERY confident in your nobilior/walkeriana growing skills in normal media before trying it with s/h.

estación seca 05-06-2016 12:04 AM

I put a standard walkeriana into S/H and the first thing it did was grow the rhizome the entire remaining distance across the top of the container before pushing up the new pseudobulb at the far lip of the container. I have to repot it already. Mount here I come.