Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Scientific Matters (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/scientific-matters/)
-   -   Fish poop Water? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/scientific-matters/89742-fish-poop-water.html)

snowflake311 04-06-2016 12:46 AM

Fish poop Water?

Hi I grow Aquatic plants and fish as well as Orchids. I have 3 fish tanks and I have often used the fish tank water to water my yard and other plants. I have started collecting my tank water for my orchids now.

Has anyone done this? 2 of my 3 tanks are planted so they are very low in Nitates and 0 ammonia and 0 Nitrites. I do does my tank want was iron and some other elements. So there could be trace elements in the water.

I have a water test kits I can test for Ammonia, Nitrates, nitrites, TDS and a few others. My other Fish tank is not planted so it can get a bit High in Nitrates compared to the planted tanks.

What do you guys thinking about using Fish water for Plants? I has been great for the yard but I have always been a bit scared to use it on my orchids.

rbarata 04-06-2016 06:56 AM

If applied indoors, the smell must not be very pleasant.

Optimist 04-06-2016 08:54 AM

I use it all the time. I have a 75 gallon tank. When I change my fish's water (usually about 30 gallons at a time) I repurpose the water. I use it on both my orchids and also on my other plants. Another thing that has decided this is the chlorination and so on they put in city water. I know that I use a dechlorinator, and this water does not contain chlorine or chloramine. No one really adresses if chlorine might be a problem with orchids. It does not sound like something they would be recieving in nature. I have always wonder if chlorine has anything to do with root decline.

estación seca 04-06-2016 09:19 PM

I use aquarium water all the time. A properly-maintained aquarium has no odor.

u bada 04-06-2016 10:05 PM

I use aquarium water all the time as well!

oscar freak 04-13-2016 04:43 AM

I use mostly on the pot plants now n then on the orchids if the tank water change and orchid watering coincide

Subrosa 04-13-2016 06:48 AM

If the water you use to fill the aquarium is suitable for the plants you intend to water and you properly maintain the aquarium it should be fine. If your aquarium maintenance is lacking, the tds of the water tends to rise dramatically.

MrHappyRotter 04-13-2016 10:00 PM

I use my aquarium water, too. Well, I should say I mix that in with rain water to boost the TDS a little and add minerals and nutrients. All natural fertilizer ... okay somewhat natural fertilizer.

These would be freshwater tanks, and not the high pH, hard water (cichlid) tanks, I assume? If so, should be fine, but probably best to invest in a cheap TDS meter just to double check and make sure you're not getting anything too high. My tanks will sometimes run up to 150 - 175, and I tend to keep the TDS for my orchids in the 50 or less range.

Orchid Whisperer 04-14-2016 06:09 AM

Optimist mentioned chlorine and the question of its effect on orchids. Chlorine is actually a plant micronutrient. Although you wouldn't want the levels found in a swimming pool in your orchid water, tap water should be fine. Same goes for fish tank water. Most of us will never need to worry about providing too much or too little chlorine. It does occur in rain water, well water and surface (river) water.