Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   My Orchid Tour April 2016 (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/89502-orchid-tour-april-2016-a.html)

Gerben1998 03-20-2016 12:18 PM

My Orchid Tour April 2016

Hi everyone

In April I'm going to make an Orchid Tour! For my 18th birthday I'm going to visit 8 nurseries in The Nederlands and Germany. I have already a (big) wishlist of orchids I want to purchase but I was wondering if anyone has a suggestion of a plant you think I NEED to purchase.

Gerben

Optimist 03-20-2016 12:52 PM

Well, I do not know what you have, like, or what all! I think orchid collections go through phases. I am at the mostly phrag and paph phase now. I especially love the mottled leaf type paphs. They are usually smallish, and the leaves are beautiful with, or without a flower. I'd like a good venusteum right now. I have a really nice delenatti that just bloomed. I don't know, but that veiny pouch is really weird and neat-- especially the fully colored one. Sorry, not an alba fan. Another one "I" would get is a dendrobium with really wavy leaves. Dendrobium Spectabile. They are very alien looking. A few plants I ordered yesterday are very interesting plants I have wanted for a year or so. I got dendrobium Trantuanii which is a small dendrobium with very cute waxy white flowers and a little catterpiller like pseudo bulb of a very light sea-foam green. I got Cattelya Schilleriana, which is small with red leaf undersides, and is a brown spotted flower with a neon pink or blue lip. I also got Bulbophyllum Medusae, which looks like white fireworks. Supposedly this is somewhat easy growing and can become a large specimine in a short time. Another plant I want to get before the year is up is a green long petaled phrag of the "grande" type, but smaller. I have seen a few that were affordable, but I just haven't taken the leap yet. I also don't like to buy seedlings. I would rather get a well-started plant than waste 4-5 years waiting for something to flower. It is worth a bit extra money to me to get something well-established. By shopping around, you can often find some very good plants that someone needs or wants to get rid of. Often just because they don't want it any more, so I tend to buy more e-bay and swap-meet plants now.

Gerben1998 03-20-2016 02:19 PM

I am just searching for weird/beautiful/... orchids, orchids I never heard of before.
What is your favorite orchid?

Optimist 03-20-2016 04:20 PM

The spectable is wierd/beautiful, so is Phrag Grande mentioned above. I think they are all weird/beautiful. I personally think that you should wait and see what great orchids you will see while on tour. You will know it when you see it.

estación seca 03-20-2016 04:59 PM

Gerben! Gelukkige verjaardag! Be sure you have lots of fun on your trip! You will remember it for the rest of your life!

No-Pro-mwa 03-24-2016 11:13 AM

Oh that sounds like allot of fun. I'll bet you find something you will like.

PhoenixNakia 03-26-2016 01:49 AM

Super birthday gift you are planning for yourself! If you are anything like me your wishlist has tons of plants you will want to bring home.

I'm too new with keeping orchids to help you out on what to get. Have fun & take lots of photos if it is allowed you will be able to look back on through the years.

Leslie 03-26-2016 09:04 AM

Gerben, what's on your list now so we can 'top' up based on your likes? Btw, what a great experience to see all these nurseries!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk