Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cymbidium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/)
-   -   compost as an additive to Cymbidium potting media? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cymbidium-alliance/89479-compost-additive-cymbidium-potting-media.html)

Orchid Whisperer 03-19-2016 09:55 AM

compost as an additive to Cymbidium potting media?

Our city has a municipal composting facility which produces compost, classified per U.S. Environmental Protection Agency standards as Class A and Exceptional Quality.

There is testing data for the compost available at: https://athensclarkecounty.com/4457/...ial-Composting

I'm considering adding up to 10% by volume of this compost to my media when reporting a Cymbidium. Opinions please - good idea? Or not? And why?

Thanks!

Helene 03-19-2016 10:37 AM

Funny thing, I was reading and just entered "coffee ground and cymbidium" and eggshells and stuff.

Seems like its recommended a bit compost when potting outside- well, atleast leaf and stuff- not sure what the compost should be made of.

The cymbidium doesnt like much fertilizer and never on its bulb, so not sure how much it can take. But I assume it gets what it needs in nature from decomposing plants and stuff.

I have no idea, really, I was just reading about the same thing, and then entered here to find a question about the same.

Orchid Whisperer 03-19-2016 11:28 AM

Hi Helene

Yes, I look forward to hearing more responses!

Regarding eggshells and leaf litter, my last repot of my only Paph hybrid uses mostly mixed pine and broad leaf forest litter with < 5% crushed eggshell n the top half of the pot. Growth has really improved!

estación seca 03-19-2016 03:55 PM

Composted organic matter would be good. A lot of them are epiphytes or leaflitterophytes on the ground, with their roots in thin collections of 100% composted organic matter.

Cym Ladye 03-20-2016 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Helene (Post 796607)

The cymbidium doesnt like much fertilizer and never on its bulb, so not sure how much it can take. But I assume it gets what it needs in nature from decomposing plants and stuff..

ABSOLUTELY WRONG! I am always astounded by the wrong information put out on the Internet, but when it hits our OB, I have to speak up. The facts are that Cymbidiums are probably the heaviest feeders in the Orchid world! The nutrients are absorbed through the leaves, the bulbs and the roots so to keep any nutrients off the bulbs is incorrect. If this were true, does Mother Nature put up little umbrellas over the bulbs so when it rains in the forest the bulbs stay dry?

That said, the only reasons to put our orchids in pots is to keep them from falling over and to take them to orchid shows. :rofl: As far as what to pot cyms in, it has to be well draining as well as being able to hold moisture for short periods of time. Most compost will be too heavy and more importantly, may be made from plant material not chemically compatible with orchids in the long run.

I always wonder why people just getting into orchids keep trying to recreate the basic medias before seeing if thousands of successful growers who have already done myriads of experiments to come up with the best and latest are better than anything the new grower can dream up. In other words, learn the basics before going off line.

The bottom line in Cymbidium culture is how to get the maximum number of flowers for the size of the pot and everything comes into play - media, fertilizer, light and water.

oscar freak 04-19-2016 10:13 AM

let me start by saying I have absolutely no luck with cymbidiums(until recently)in that I seem to water them to death in pots in bark mixtures.i'v started keeping them in mesh baskets and have managed to get them to finally start growing in the right direction.then my boss rocks up to work with his giant of a plant with 11 flower spikes with stalks as think as an inch.its growing in a ceramic pot with a layer of stones at the bottom for drainage on top of that a layer of compost and then the bark mix on top.jealousy is not the word

oscar freak 04-19-2016 10:19 AM

1 Attachment(s)
this is it

Orchid Whisperer 04-19-2016 12:47 PM

Oscar freak, that is a healthy looking plant! FWIW I did add about 10% compost into the mix when I repotted, so far so good. The top part of the pot contains mostly fast draining leaf mold.

estación seca 04-19-2016 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oscar freak (Post 800487)
let me start by saying I have absolutely no luck with cymbidiums(until recently)in that I seem to water them to death in pots in bark mixtures.i'v started keeping them in mesh baskets and have managed to get them to finally start growing in the right direction.then my boss rocks up to work with his giant of a plant with 11 flower spikes with stalks as think as an inch.its growing in a ceramic pot with a layer of stones at the bottom for drainage on top of that a layer of compost and then the bark mix on top.jealousy is not the word

He's the boss. Your plant looks great!

No-Pro-mwa 04-19-2016 01:01 PM

Such a nice plant. I'm jealous as well.