Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   terminal spike phal (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/89447-terminal-spike-phal.html)

highwar 03-17-2016 05:28 AM

terminal spike phal

2 Attachment(s)
hello
I am a beginer in orchid and phal .
I think I bought a very healthy phal but with a terminal spike

it has good roots and a healthy flower spike but I am afraid from this terminal spike thingy .
does it mean my phal will die in a couple of months ? will it have a keiki?

bil 03-17-2016 08:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by highwar (Post 796295)
hello
I am a beginer in orchid and phal .
I think I bought a very healthy phal but with a terminal spike

it has good roots and a healthy flower spike but I am afraid from this terminal spike thingy .
does it mean my phal will die in a couple of months ? will it have a keiki?

Don't worry, it's just a flower spike.

highwar 03-17-2016 08:51 AM

but

it comes from the center of the leaves and its too long ..
how do you know ?

nicola 03-17-2016 08:53 AM

Welcome to Orchidboard,
i agree, the plant looks strong, so at the appropriate time it will react to the situation.
I would not worry, enjoy the development of the spike and keep us updated.

fishmom 03-17-2016 11:42 AM

It looks to me as though the leaf at the bottom of the spike is actually the beginning of a keiki. If so, look for it to start producing roots when the spike is mature. I think the plant is already ensuring its survival. Good luck!

cbuchman 03-17-2016 01:09 PM

A terminal spike means that the plant can not longer produce leaves from that crown. It must produce a keiki in order to grow. Generally, if a Phal produces a terminal spike, it is more prone to do it again as it is most likely part of its generic make up. So enjoy the flowers, etc. and then decide if you want to continue to grow the plant.

highwar 03-17-2016 03:19 PM

well

the phal could survive for long time ,years , right ?
I ll enjoy it and if it does a kieki I ll pot it.
hopefully it wont do that ...but it willt ake at least one or two years so I have time

tucker85 03-17-2016 09:01 PM

I agree, your orchid has a terminal spike. The mother plant will stop growing and will eventually die but it could take a long time, over year sometimes. I've had two terminal spikes. Both times the orchids produced basal keikis. One of the plants produced three keikis. So just take good care of your orchid and see what happens.

Nali12 03-18-2016 11:10 PM

I bought an orchid that either already had a terminal spike (not knowing what it is) or grew one soon after. The orchid lived for 2.5 years and died only because I didn't repot it soon enough. It did worry me that this orchid wouldn't grow any new leaves, while the old leaves started looking shabby after two years. The orchid did keep flowing even with the terminal spike almost all the time I had it - it periodically grew new flowing stems from the sides.

There were no keikis on my orchid - I think there is some trick to getting them that involves not fertilizing the orchid for a while. If you fertilize it, it seems like all it does is bloom. I had another orchid that was my very first one, and I didn't know that it needs to be fed, so after 1+ years of being watered but not fertilized it grew 2 keikis from it's old flower stem that I didn't fully cut down. Next time I get a terminal spike I will try this again to see if it grows any.

highwar 03-19-2016 03:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nali12 (Post 796575)
I bought an orchid that either already had a terminal spike (not knowing what it is) or grew one soon after. The orchid lived for 2.5 years and died only because I didn't repot it soon enough. It did worry me that this orchid wouldn't grow any new leaves, while the old leaves started looking shabby after two years. The orchid did keep flowing even with the terminal spike almost all the time I had it - it periodically grew new flowing stems from the sides.

There were no keikis on my orchid - I think there is some trick to getting them that involves not fertilizing the orchid for a while. If you fertilize it, it seems like all it does is bloom. I had another orchid that was my very first one, and I didn't know that it needs to be fed, so after 1+ years of being watered but not fertilized it grew 2 keikis from it's old flower stem that I didn't fully cut down. Next time I get a terminal spike I will try this again to see if it grows any.

I dont think it matters if I fertilize it or not
maby I ll buy keiki paste on ebay because in my country I cant find one

and maby it will just grow a basal keki without me doing anything..lets wait and see:)