Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Connoisseur's corner (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/)
-   -   Wine Pasta with Wine Garlic Sauce (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/connoisseur-s-corner/89419-wine-pasta-wine-garlic-sauce.html)

catherinecarney 03-15-2016 07:32 PM

Wine Pasta with Wine Garlic Sauce

Hi all--

Just a quick, easy, and tasty pasta recipe. Great with mesclun type salad and crusty Italian bread.

For the pasta: Cook approx. 1 lb pasta (spaghetti, linguini, fettucini), in a 50/50 mix of salted water and dry red wine until al dente. Drain.

For the sauce: heat a couple of tablespoons of olive oil in a large skillet. Add in two cloves minced garlic, one diced onion, about 1/4 cup each chopped parsley and celery, and 3 or 4 chopped paste type tomatoes (think Roma), salt and season to taste (usually needs some salt). Optional: sliced black olives, chopped mushrooms (mmm, Portabella), chopped pepperoncini or italian frying peppers. etc. Cook until veggies are tender but not soggy and add 1/4 cup red wine and stir in the drained cooked noodles to coat. Serve immediately with parmesan cheese (the fresh not pregrated stuff) on top. Serves 4-6.

The nice thing with this dish is that you can vary the sauce dramatically depending on what you toss into the basic oil/garlic/onion/tomato base. Stick with just veggies and it's a tasty vegetarian meal for many, cook italian sausage and use it instead of the oil and you've got a hearty meat dish. Add in chopped broccoli or broccoli raab....You get the idea!

Enjoy!

Catherine

orchidsarefun 03-15-2016 07:56 PM

50/50 mix. Never heard of that and will have to try with some 2 buck chuck.

Sent from my LG-H901 using Tapatalk

catherinecarney 03-15-2016 08:00 PM

It's a great way to use up a wine that's harsh or otherwise not one you want to drink. Kitchen smells great while you're cooking, too.

WhiteRabbit 03-16-2016 07:52 PM

sounds delish! Wish I were more of a cook -- tho, I think I could attempt this ;)

catherinecarney 03-16-2016 08:37 PM

It's pretty easy Sonya! My daughter (who can literally burn water--don't ask) is able to make this....Probably the hardest part is making sure everything is chopped and ready to go before starting to heat the olive oil. Once it's hot, the rest of the sauce goes really quickly.

The first time my daughter and I made this (along with a cheese tortellini with a crab alfredo sauce) we were both sitting at the end of dinner, absolutely stuffed, and each of us kept having "just one more bite" because it tasted so good....

No-Pro-mwa 03-17-2016 12:56 PM

I should try this, it is lint you know no meat on Fridays.

catherinecarney 03-17-2016 01:48 PM

I hope you try it, Shannon! If you do, please let me know what you think.

We've made it both ways since my daughter has friends who are varying degrees of vegetarian and vegan. The issues I've always had with trying meatless meals are that they've either been bland or not filling. This is packed full of flavor and will leave you feeling satisfied.

I'll see what other "meatless" meals I can come up with....I've been doing a fish chowder with pollock, potato, onions, corn, and garlic in a milk base that's been pretty good lately.

Catherine

No-Pro-mwa 03-18-2016 01:49 PM

I will let you know. I should be doing it tonight but I would have to go to town and get a few things. So we will see as here I sit on the computer when I should be doing something constructive. Luckily we both like fish even though I can't eat shell fish but can other kinds. We even like tuna casserole but we had that last Friday.

No-Pro-mwa 03-20-2016 02:11 PM

I did make it Friday night. It was very good. A few things I added. I put some zucc in as I had some I needed to use up and I also put in some Italian herbs and a bit of the wine into the veggie mix.

Thanks much for the recipe and I'm sure we will have it again.

catherinecarney 03-20-2016 06:05 PM

Glad you liked it! I'll have to try it with zucchini and some herbs when I make it next.

I wonder what it would be like with a little bit of bacon sprinkled on with the cheese right before serving? Hmmm, guess I'll have to try it.

Catherine