Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   Would Hazel be good as an Orchid Mount? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/89335-hazel-orchid-mount.html)

Triffid 03-09-2016 11:55 AM

Would Hazel be good as an Orchid Mount?

2 Attachment(s)
I have been doing a clear out and found a 20 year old hazel stick, collected in my youth. It stands approximately 5ft tall, with the top 2ft nicely twisted. It has not been treated with any preservatives, varnish etc.

So I did some digging online but found little in the way of reference to this type of wood being used as a mount, even to say "Don't use it".

It's a rather nice looking long stick and I am tempted to try and mount something on it in the future.

Questions:
Has anyone ever used Hazel as a mount?
If yes, what are the pros and cons?
Is there a good reason why I should not even attempt this? ("The Stick is pretty" is not a good enough reason for me)

I am even willing to donate it to someone in the UK, if it turns out that I cannot put it to good use.

Help and advice always welcome.
Thank you in advance.

Subrosa 03-09-2016 04:05 PM

I don't know about using as a mount, but my macaw has been in the process of chewing a large branch of a hazelnut bush into sawdust for the past two weeks..

Triffid 03-09-2016 05:47 PM

Well that's certainly one use for it, alas I know no one with a Parrot and as much as I have always wanted one my cat is scared of birds.

PaphMadMan 03-09-2016 09:05 PM

Subrosa 03-09-2016 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Triffid (Post 795222)
Well that's certainly one use for it, alas I know no one with a Parrot and as much as I have always wanted one my cat is scared of birds.

The point is it doesn't contain anything toxic..........

Triffid 03-10-2016 05:21 AM

PaphMadMan,
Thanks for the comment and tips on close relatives.

Subrosa,
Sorry, you just duck up old desires and a fondness for the feathered beauties :)

May risk a plant in the near future. Will be sure to report on results when they happen.

PaphMadMan 03-10-2016 06:23 AM

Subrosa 03-10-2016 06:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PaphMadMan (Post 795295)
I remember the only wood my cockatoo didn't render into sawdust was a hickory branch I baked in the oven to harden. Of course, he was smart enough to know that his favorite cage-top perch might not be replaced if it was destroyed too fast. He took great delight in terrorizing the cats, and I still have scars from the times he chose to suddenly join the mammals sleeping on the couch, and doing his cockatoo laugh as the cats shredded me trying get away from him. I miss that damn bird.

I have owned myself or worked with just about every animal commonly, and even uncommonly kept as a pet, and other than primates no animal is as capable of forming a deep, complex emotional bond with humans as parrots do. I've lost a couple birds over the years, and I miss every one of them dearly.

Leafmite 03-10-2016 10:35 AM

Good luck with your hazel mount. The great thing about using Hazel is it is a renewable resource (if you have ever seen the way Hazel grows....). :)

PaphMadMan 03-10-2016 11:45 AM