Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   Den. Roongkamol Vejvanrut 'VKR' X Green Latern (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/88853-den-roongkamol-vejvanrut-vkr-green-latern.html)

Metasequoia 02-04-2016 09:52 PM

Den. Roongkamol Vejvanrut 'VKR' X Green Latern

2 Attachment(s)
Den. Roongkamol Vejvanrut 'VKR' X Green Lantern
Does anyone have any knowledge about this cross? I have looked and cant seem to find any thing. I picked it up on sale, at the out of bloom bin for $4. It seems healthy and has settled down with 2 new buds. I figure, I like these kind of Dendrobiums, why not give it a shot? It is a tiny-black hair type or Formosae group if that helps.
Thanks, Jason

ula 02-05-2016 10:48 AM

Hi,
as far as I'm not mistaken:
Green Lantern is Dawn Maree x cruentum,
Roongkamol Vejvanrut is Dawn Maree x formosum.
Dawn Maree itself is formosum x cruentum.
I would think that it should grow well if you treated like a formosae type den, since the pedilonum type seems to be a "minority" here.
Happy growing, don't forget to post pics of the bloom ;).

Kevinator 02-07-2016 05:11 PM

Rookagnol vejvanrut is one of the easiest plants I have ever cared for in my experience and has literally held on to its flowers for over two and a half months now. I practically roast it, giving it more light than any of my other plants (enough to burn any cattleya) and has done very well. It doesn't care about anything really with my nights getting into the low 40's F in winter and up to the low 90's in summer. I have it in medium grade bark and water twice a week due to the lack of most of its potting mix because it toppled over so many times.

I'm not sure about Green Lantern though I have heard of it before. Good luck!

silken 02-07-2016 09:39 PM

The cross results in 50% Den. formosum and 50% Den. cruentum as per OrchidWiz.

estación seca 02-08-2016 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by silken (Post 790695)
The cross results in 50% Den. formosum and 50% Den. cruentum as per OrchidWiz.

This calculation is as easy a making change.

Metasequoia 02-09-2016 12:16 AM

Thanks all, It seems that there is quite a bit of back crossing to the parent lineage. With Cruentum and Formosum being the big players. Should I move forward with the Red Headed Step Child Approach? I really love the fact there is some resilience in the cross. Are there any other culture tips you might have? Thanks guys, :waving

---------- Post added at 10:16 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:46 PM ----------

So it is. Just two on the genotype with a weird path to get to said cross... wow
Thanks for schooling me!