Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Outdoor Gardening (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/)
-   -   What to put on a S California tree (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/outdoor-gardening/88241-california-tree.html)

estación seca 12-17-2015 03:14 PM

What to put on a S California tree

I want to put an orchid on my mom's jacaranda tree in southern California. She lives in southern Orange County about 5 miles from the coast. She is just inland from the coastal hills so warmer than right on the coast, but never really hot. Nights are almost always cool. Winters are too cool at night for southeast Asian tropicals like Vanda or Phalaenopsis, but frost would be exceptionally rare. I forgot the Sunset zone but I think it's 23.

It will get 2 hours' low morning sun, then dappled shade through the canopy. The tree is thinned; a large Trichocereus cactus blooms well underneath.

I have a piece of Dendrobium xdelicatum which should do well. Any other suggestions from SoCal growers? Thanks.

WhiteRabbit 12-17-2015 07:42 PM

Laelia anceps, perhaps

AnonYMouse 12-18-2015 01:54 AM

Neofinetia falcata (nope, not calling it Vanda)!

The list could be long. I imagine many Aussie Dens would do well. Sarcochiluses, too.

Luizacft 12-18-2015 08:04 AM

I think Coelogyne cristata likes the winter cooler temps. She won't do well in the very hot areas as far as I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Roberta 01-15-2016 12:09 PM

Laelia anceps - and its close relatives (L. autumnalis, L. gouldiana, L. furfuracea) and their hybrids for sure. They don't need a lot of water or attention (since in a tree, they will need to be watered wtih a hose, no doubt), are fine with both heat and cold. The time to mount them is NOW... they only root once a year, and are actively doing it now, or will be in the next few weeks. There are many orchid species that grow outside in coastl southern California, but for mounting to a tree, those high-elevation Mexican Laelias and their hybrids are perfect.
Check out my homepage to see what grows for me in a similar climate (just a little more coastal)

estación seca 01-15-2016 02:06 PM

Welcome to the Orchid Board!

Thank you! Bought a beautiful L.gouldiana 'Greta Garbo' from Andy's with the intent of putting it on the tree after all the cold rain was finished this spring. Didn't realize they only root once yearly, so will alter plans. It has a mature, hardened growth with no eyes swelling and no fresh root growth. Do they root and shoot at the same time?

Roberta 01-15-2016 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by estación seca (Post 787502)

Thank you! Bought a beautiful L.gouldiana 'Greta Garbo' from Andy's with the intent of putting it on the tree after all the cold rain was finished this spring. Didn't realize they only root once yearly, so will alter plans. It has a mature, hardened growth with no eyes swelling and no fresh root growth. Do they root and shoot at the same time?

They may even root before they shoot. The ideal for mounting is to anticipate the rooting (read their little minds) I think L. gouldiana operates pretty much like L. anceps (with which I have more experience... more variety therefore more plants) If you can get it in place before any roots are even showing, once they do, they'll grab hold quickly, and you don't risk damaging the new tips. I would not worry about the cold rain. It's more important to have it in place before it goes into action.Oh, and don't bother to add any moss when you mount it... these love their roots bare. That also helps with the cold and rain - they dry out fast.

estación seca 01-15-2016 02:36 PM

Thank you. Where's the home page you mentioned?

Roberta 01-15-2016 04:50 PM

I think I have to be on the the forum with more posts to post a live link... in my user profile (that may or may not be visible) it is there. But here it is in plain text (just copy and paste) My website is orchidcentral.org

wintergirl 01-15-2016 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roberta (Post 787529)
I think I have to be on the the forum with more posts to post a live link... in my user profile (that may or may not be visible) it is there. But here it is in plain text (just copy and paste) My website is orchidcentral.org

Off topic but...Your website is cool, love those hummingbird pictures!