Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Dendrobium Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/)
-   -   The Six Horticultural Groups of Dendrobium (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/dendrobium-alliance/8735-six-horticultural-dendrobium.html)

Ross 02-06-2008 02:30 PM

The Six Horticultural Groups of Dendrobium

As classified by Rebecca Tyson Northern, there are 6 groupings that describe the differences in growing needs of Dendrobiums. I am paraphrasing to avoid copyright infringement.

Type I (deciduous, so-called nobile type) intermediate to warm in summer, cool to cold in winter, full winter rest. Examples: D. nobile, D. chrysanthum, D. wardianum.

Type II (deciduous) intermediate to warm all year, full winter rest. Examples: D. speciosum, D. aggregatum, D. findlayanum, D. heterocarpum, D. superbum (anosmum), D. parishii, D. pierardii.

Type III (persistent) intermediate to warm summer, cool in winter, no winter rest - simply reduce water. Examples: D. densiflorum, D. fimbriatum, D. thyrsiflorum, D. farmeri.

Type IV (persistent) cool all year. Short suspension of water early autumn. Examples: D. bellatulum, D. secundum.

Type V (persistent) Intermediate all year. No rest. Examples: D. antilope and hybrids of type V and type VI.

Type VI (persistent) warm growing all year. Restrict water twice during year. Examples: D. phalaenopsis, D. bigibbum, D. superbiens.

Now, I have little personal success with any, except type II, so I can't help with culture on the others (I kill them more often not not - or they just up and die :evil: ) but deciduous type II are said to be the easiest for in-house culture, if one follows their needs strictly. I've found this to be true for D. anosmum. Hope this helps others.

shams 02-06-2008 02:47 PM

Thanks Ross,

All this dendrobium alk lately has mostly just confused me, as I didn't know what type meant what. :scratchhead: I'm still in the dark as to what I have, but still researching.

Thanks again :bowing

niki

quiltergal 02-06-2008 02:56 PM

I know this info has been posted before. Can one of the mods please make this a sticky? Pretty please?? :)

Ross 02-06-2008 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by shams (Post 79654)
Thanks Ross,

All this dendrobium alk lately has mostly just confused me, as I didn't know what type meant what. :scratchhead: I'm still in the dark as to what I have, but still researching.

Thanks again :bowing

niki

Just research the cross (because likely you have hybrids) and compare parents/grand parents to this chart.

kavanaru 02-06-2008 03:11 PM

Excellent, Ross! thanks for this info!

calvin_orchidL 02-06-2008 03:30 PM

Great post! I do have a question though - What group do the dendrobiums from the formosae group (the black hair dends/nigrohirsute) belong to? :hmm I feel like it is Group IV, but then it's a little confusing because I was just researching dend tobaense (which has an awesome flower btw) and it is stated as a warm grower! :scratchhead: So perhaps this group has a bit more range? I'm not sure - I've never grown them before...I've only dreamed of growing them :drool:

Ross 02-06-2008 04:09 PM

Group IV is correct. That is represented by D. bellatulum.

Lagoon 02-06-2008 06:15 PM

Great post Ross, very helpful!
I think hobbyists are able to gain a better undstanding about the culturing needs after reading about the 6 different types of dens.

quiltergal 02-06-2008 06:25 PM

I have a nigrohirsute that is a cross between group IV & V. It has cruentum and formosae in it's parentage. I grow it as a group V and it's going nuts, blooms all over the place.

Ross 02-06-2008 06:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by quiltergal (Post 79723)
I have a nigrohirsute that is a cross between group IV & V. It has cruentum and formosae in it's parentage. I grow it as a group V and it's going nuts, blooms all over the place.

This is a very helpful post for those with similar Dendros. Thanks for posting this.