Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Hybrids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/)
-   -   Phal fert question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/hybrids/86402-phal-fert-question.html)

Celtic100 07-29-2015 09:53 AM

Phal fert question

I can't seem to grow these lovelies but I am going to try again. I found a beauty at Wegman's in Mass. Its tag said it was a Matsui Nursery Phal and the tag also stated the following regarding fertilizing: "After your Phalaenopsis orchid drops its last flower, you can start fertilizing once a month with an orchid fertilizer." Is this safe to do? Seems a little scant for the health of the plant but this is what they recommend to get a rebloom. I would love to take this lazy approach and I may since I haven't really had much luck doing the weekly weakly thing. Just curious to see what you folks think about it.

wintergirl 07-29-2015 10:31 AM

I am a poor fertilizer and my phals are doing great. Phals are not "big eaters" of fertilizers IMO.

Celtic100 07-29-2015 11:14 AM

oooh, interesting. Thanks for that wintergirl.

silken 07-29-2015 11:28 AM

If your Phals are growing OK but not blooming for you, it is likely they aren't getting a cool little rest in the fall. For 4 or 6 weeks in Sept. or Oct. give them cooler temps. Not below around 55 at night tho. This helps bring on spikes.

Celtic100 07-29-2015 11:52 AM

I shall certainly take that advice,Silken. 4 or 6 weeks - a good long time. I think I have the perfect exposure for it right now - east facing - very slight amount of sun through a venetian blind but lots of bright light the rest of the day. I am determined to make this one re-bloom!! Thank you.
P.S. I just looked at your photo of Fire Dance (Patricia). GORGEOUS!! I must find one. That's my name as well, Patricia.

silken 07-29-2015 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Celtic100 (Post 765679)
I shall certainly take that advice,Silken. 4 or 6 weeks - a good long time. I think I have the perfect exposure for it right now - east facing - very slight amount of sun through a venetian blind but lots of bright light the rest of the day. I am determined to make this one re-bloom!! Thank you.

Some say only a couple of weeks of cool is req'd, but I have always given them that much. Good luck.

Celtic100 07-29-2015 11:58 AM

I think I am on the right track with everyone's good advice, I will keep you posted with picts if I do succeed. Fire Dance as I mentioned in my edit, is absolutely fabo!!

Ray 07-30-2015 08:21 AM

Phal fert question

University studies have shown that about two weeks of a 10-15-degree F reduction in the average growing temperature will reliably trick the plants into spike initiation, and that returning them to a very warm environment after that results in the fastest, most well-developed growth of them.

That is how we see blooming phals coming from Taiwan all year.

Celtic100 07-30-2015 02:22 PM

Interesting... Is it ok to move them to a cooler room for this? I'll do my best to get 10 down - probably difficult for me to get 15 in my house. Thanks for good info.

silken 07-31-2015 01:58 AM

Yes, if the room is 10 degrees cooler that should do. Sometimes cracking a window in the fall, depending where you live can cool things off a bit.