Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   A very frustrating Vanda Jukkich Gold (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/86174-frustrating-vanda-jukkich-gold.html)

AussieVanda 07-13-2015 10:33 PM

A very frustrating Vanda Jukkich Gold

2 Attachment(s)
I got this Vanda in bloom as a fathers day gift 3 years ago. I never managed to get it to bloom again. Despite my best efforts and regimented watering and fertilising routine it did nothing other than grow. The leaves remained a nice light lime colour and great roots. It got moved to a few different spots but still nothing. For the last year it lived happily in my then new vanda shade house. Other vandas around it bloomed like crazy but not this one, it just grew.

A few months ago I cracked the sads and decided to move it slightly to the right (half a metre) just to re-arrange some of the hanging spots for my more reliable plants. Within in 2 weeks of being moved that almighty distance of half a metre, it spiked.

So here is my Vanda Jukkich Gold in bloom after nearly 3 years of frustration!!

wintergirl 07-13-2015 11:34 PM

Really nice blooms, worth the wait!

CR7cristiano 07-14-2015 03:34 AM

Hate to say it but this isn't Jukkich Gold. :(

RosieC 07-14-2015 04:34 AM

Beautiful!

I remember talking to someone at an Orchid show about finding a plant's "happy spot". He said sometimes just a foot or so one way or the other could make all the difference to whether it was happy or not.

No-Pro-mwa 07-14-2015 11:21 AM

Well I guess you found it's happy place. I'm guessing it will stay there. It's a beauty.

Cntry 07-14-2015 11:45 AM

The blooms are gorgeous on it and you have more buds yet to open... I am glad you didn't give up on this orchid.

Leafmite 07-14-2015 04:06 PM

So funny! Some plants really are divas! Congratulations on finally seeing some results of your efforts!

Fairorchids 07-14-2015 04:10 PM

Some plants are just plain primadonnas. I bloom most of my Vandaceous well, with many plants blooming 2-3 times a year, yet I have one Vanda Wirat, that bloomed in 2003, and then for the second time this year, as well as an Ascocenda Yip Sum Wah 'Flame' FCC/AOS, which I have had at least 8 years, and it has never bloomed.

However, I am more stubborn than they are!

DeaC 07-14-2015 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 763429)
Some plants are just plain primadonnas. I bloom most of my Vandaceous well, with many plants blooming 2-3 times a year, yet I have one Vanda Wirat, that bloomed in 2003, and then for the second time this year, as well as an Ascocenda Yip Sum Wah 'Flame' FCC/AOS, which I have had at least 8 years, and it has never bloomed.

However, I am more stubborn than they are!

:hello Since you'll be at DCOS mtg tonight,please mention how patient and stubborn we need to be to be successful. I've been in your situation too!

JDT 07-14-2015 08:01 PM

I know the feeling, I have two vanda's that I have been taking care of since 2008 that have done nothing but grow, I have moved them this spring to direct sunlight so I hope that maybe I might see what these 2 look like, I have tried everything else for years but never had them in direct sunlight before time will tell.