Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Growing on Mounts (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/)
-   -   Orchids mounted on bone question (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/growing-on-mounts/86146-orchids-mounted-bone-question.html)

Mandy2705 07-12-2015 03:29 AM

Orchids mounted on bone question

I saw on another forum, Orchid Forum, that one member mounted some orchids on a vertebrae bone. They did well on the bone mount. I was thinking maybe I could do that do a cow or bull skull. My dad has a couple laying around in his garden. We are from the southwest and these skulls are a common decoration in many homes. I wondered if anyone else has mounted their orchids on bone before? If so pls share :)

Triffid 03-09-2016 07:22 PM

An interesting proposition. I would guess you would be advised to go for Orchids that enjoy calcium in their diet and also to make sure the bones are clean of any potential rotting/decaying matter.

Never tried it myself, but giving this post a little boost as I am curious as to how this would work out.

Could you perhaps also post a link to the original inspiration for this question.

And also I have to ask, have you tried it yourself yet?

My Green Pets 03-09-2016 08:27 PM

I think an orchid on an animal skull would be gorgeous. An image of life and death intertwined. Do you have an extra cow skull that you could send me? All I have access to are deer skulls.

desertanimal 03-10-2016 01:59 AM

Nope. I'd never do that to a perfectly good bone. ;)

Subrosa 03-10-2016 05:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CambriaWhat (Post 795234)
I think an orchid on an animal skull would be gorgeous. An image of life and death intertwined. Do you have an extra cow skull that you could send me? All I have access to are deer skulls.

So grow miniatures!

voyager 03-10-2016 06:52 AM

Makes me think a bit.
Used to have some well weathered whale ribs and vertebrae.
One vertebra was as big around as a small dining room table. [Yeah, I know, time can distort memories]
Interesting possibilities for mounting orchids.

Subrosa 03-10-2016 07:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 795298)
Makes me think a bit.
Used to have some well weathered whale ribs and vertebrae.
One vertebra was as big around as a small dining room table. [Yeah, I know, time can distort memories]
Interesting possibilities for mounting orchids.

Interesting possibilities for incarceration if you don't have the proper permits to possess them.....

voyager 03-10-2016 07:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 795301)
Interesting possibilities for incarceration if you don't have the proper permits to possess them.....

At the time it was not a consideration.
Now, it would be only if from an endangered species, as I understand it.

To be honest, I have no Idea as to which species they were from.
But at the time, having no idea as to even what they were, I took them to the local college's biology department.
They ID them for me as being whale bones and then let me take them back home with me.
It is very common to see natives on a street corner in Anchorage hawking baleen to anyone that will part with the cash, without even the pretense of it being an "art" object by etching a name onto it, as is often done with walrus skulls and tusks.

Subrosa 03-10-2016 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by voyager (Post 795302)
At the time it was not a consideration.
Now, it would be only if from an endangered species.

To be honest I had no Idea as to which species they were from.
But, having no idea as to what they were, I took them to the local college biology department.
They ID them for me as being whale bones and then let me take them back home with me.

At the present time, it doesn't matter the conservation status of the species. Since the 1972 Marine Mammals Act passed possession of any whale parts (other than fossils) is prohibited without federal permits.

voyager 03-10-2016 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subrosa (Post 795303)
At the present time, it doesn't matter the conservation status of the species. Since the 1972 Marine Mammals Act passed possession of any whale parts (other than fossils) is prohibited without federal permits.

While you were making your last post I was still editing my last post.

I make no claim as to be all knowing about the legality of possessing whale parts in the here and now.
Nor am I guilty of the advocacy of such things.
All I know is what I've seen as in my edit on my last post.
My original comment was inspired by memories originating in the 1950's or '60's, and was posted with the thought of the ridiculousness of such an item being used as an orchid mount.
As I said, the legality was not a consideration at the time.

Even so, My observation about natives hawking whale parts on street corners and walrus skulls and tusks still stands.
I have witnessed whale hunts from villages on the North Slope [Wainwright and Barrow] and the subsequent butchering on the beach, as a spectator not a participant. I am not native.

I've even watched the "Rainbow Warrior" come in after the hunt to give their views to the villagers.

EDIT:
https://alaskafisheries.noaa.gov/pr/...ammal-products

"... Alaska Natives are exempted under the MMPA and ESA, and may possess such items and convert them to handicraft. Non-Natives may retain these parts provided they do not have remaining “soft” tissues attached and that they are not from a threatened or endangered species. ..."

I believe the notation of the bones being well weathered would meet the no remaining soft tissue requirement.
Plus, from the remainder of that paragraph, I interpret it that unless they can come up with a good reason to not allow possession, they have to give the permit.