Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Easy flowering Ascda / Vanda? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/8598-easy-flowering-ascda-vanda.html)

Milda 01-31-2008 02:18 PM

Easy flowering Ascda / Vanda?

Hi
I have an Ascda Princess Mikasa which I enjoy very much. It has been flowering twice last year, and the flowers lasted for more than a month. I am now looking for some more of these wonderful orchids. Can any of recommend a couple of easy flowering ascda / vandas? Since I live in Norway, I can't give them bright light in winter.
Thanks

Milda

Deborah 01-31-2008 02:34 PM

I'm kind of new to vanacous but I live in zone 5 my chids have relied mostly on artficial light in fall/winter because it's so cloudy her then, right now I have kagawara samrerng, rhynchostylis gigantea alba, spiking.

Grandma M 01-31-2008 04:25 PM

Deborah

How tall does rhynchostylis gigantea alba get? Someone posted a pic of it and I fell in love with it. I plan to look for one but first I need to know how much head room it will need.

I also live in the midwest, Michigan, and grow them in my home under lights.

Roy 02-13-2008 02:48 AM

Grandma M, if I can answer your question on Rhy gigantea alba, it will flower off a plant smaller than an flowering size Ascocenda by 2/3rds.

Grandma M 02-13-2008 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roy (Post 81071)
Grandma M, if I can answer your question on Rhy gigantea alba, it will flower off a plant smaller than an flowering size Ascocenda by 2/3rds.

Thanks, Roy. I better start looking. I had had some vandas for three years but they didn't to anything until I raised them closer to my HPS light (on a light mover). Now three of them have bloomed. My favorite is 'Laura Bush' by RF orchids. It has huge flowers and the color had deepened to a very dark magenta.

I had quite a large number of Vandas, on my porch, until a storm came along and my vandas were all in my neighbors yard. I could only salvage 3 of them. Laura Bush was one.

I will post some vanda pictures today.

Roy 02-13-2008 08:24 AM

Grandma, the Vandas you have now and flowering on the hall stand look good, as seen in ST & SOF.

shams 02-13-2008 11:24 AM

Hey! Roy answered a query I had about the Rhych too :D Thankds Grandma for asking about it. I don't plan on getting one right away... but I love it, and if I happen to see it... I plan on snapping it up ;)

That picture that was posted the other day was AMAZING :drool:

Leisurely 02-13-2008 12:44 PM

Milda,
I suggest Ascda. Su-Fun Beauty 'Orange Bell' Am/Aos. It can bloom three times per year with two spikes each time. The plant is small and the flowers are smaller than Princess Mikasa. They are bright orange and beautiful.