Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Orchid Nurseries Search Engine (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/8556-orchid-nurseries-search-engine.html)

epiphyte78 01-30-2008 03:07 AM

Orchid Nurseries Search Engine

When I'm shopping around for a specific orchid I click on each orchid nursery link that I have saved in my bookmarks/favorites folder. Then I search each website to see if they carry the orchid I'm looking for in order to compare prices.

It's not the most efficient process so I decided to create a custom google search engine that only searches my bookmarked nursery websites. It works just like the regular google search except it only returns results from orchid nurseries. The biggest drawback is that while google indexing is good... it's not perfect...so there's always the possibility that one of the nurseries might carry the orchid but google hasn't indexed the page it's on... so the nursery wouldn't show up in the results. Although, when a page isn't indexed by google it's usually through a fault of the website owner and not google.

Here's the link to the search engine.... Orchid Nurseries Search Engine. So far it searches 21 orchid nurseries. Mainly US nurseries that have fairly extensive species offerings.

Andy's Orchids
Botanica Ltd.
Camp Lot A Noise Tropicals
Clackamas Orchids
Clown Alley Orchids
Fantasy Orchids, Inc.
Hoosier Orchid Company
J & L Orchids
Jewell Orchids
Lowe's Orchids
Mountain Orchids
New World Orchids
Oak Hil Gardens
Orchid Web
Orchidaceae
Parkside Orchid Nurseries
Petite Plaisance
Santa Barbara Orchid Estate
SLO Gardens Orchids
Sorella Orchids
Tropical Orchid Farm

Let me know if there are any additional orchid nursery websites that you would like added to the list and I'll be happy to do so.

Dorothy 01-30-2008 10:14 AM

There are a ton of them at orchidmall.com national and international - The Orchid Mall - Everything in Orchids - click on Orchid Plant Sources
and at orchidwire.com - OrchidWire - Connecting a World of Orchids
:nod:

epiphyte78 01-30-2008 12:20 PM

I added all the nurseries on the US nurseries Orchid Mall page so the total list of nurseries searched is now 310.

isurus79 01-30-2008 12:35 PM

Hey thats pretty cool! Your website is now in my "Favorites" browser area. Good work!

tuvoc 01-30-2008 04:08 PM

Great job! Now I can spend less time searching, and more time buying!

Kim

Gin 01-30-2008 04:14 PM

I just added it to my favorites , Thank You your work is appreciated .. Gin

cb977 01-30-2008 06:33 PM

:bowing

Very nice of you to share that with us

:thanx:

littlefrog 01-31-2008 10:06 AM

Can you add me to the list? *grin*

Rob

epiphyte78 01-31-2008 04:07 PM

Thanks for the feedback everybody! Glad to hear that it's useful.

Rob, your nursery website has been added to the list. You can give it a go.

If anybody else has a nursery that is not listed in the Orchid Mall nursery page and would like to have their nursery website included in the Orchid Nurseries Search Engine then please let me know.

Tommyr 02-03-2008 02:34 PM

Aloha orchids is great, just got my first Cym through them.

Orchids and Orchid Plants, Tropical Flowers from Hawaii's Premiere Orchid Growers, Orchid Care and Growing Orchid Tips, Orchids Wholesale and Tropical Flowers Wholesale