Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Maxillaria Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/)
-   -   Trader Joe's find - Maxillaria Tenuifolia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/85065-trader-joes-maxillaria-tenuifolia.html)

astrid 05-16-2015 08:34 PM

Trader Joe's find - Maxillaria Tenuifolia

2 Attachment(s)
Hey everyone!!

I always thought these were interesting plants, but I never really thought, "Oh I must have one!"

However, today when I was buying belated Mother's Day orchids from TJ's, I saw it: a maxillaria tenuifolia! What luck! :biggrin:

How often do you find one of these in TJ's, and for $8 no less!!?? I quickly grabbed it so no one else would snatch it from me (honestly, though, what average shopper is going to try to steal a 1-flower chives-looking plant from me???) and bought it along with the other orchids - a sherry baby and a giant gorgeous phal.
It didn't matter that I was essentially clueless about this orchid- for $8, it stole my heart and begged me to take it home.

But here are my questions:

1- What is an ideal potting mix for it? I seem to see it in a wooden slat basket often, and the potting mixes look finer than what I usually pot my oncidiums, phals, and cattleyas in.

2- I have read it has particular weather patterns where it lives. Is this a winter-resting orchid? I have read to reduce water from October to February, and give almost nothing for the month of December. Does this sound right?

3- Should I just forego potting it and mount it? If I mount it, how much sphagnum moss should I use? Should I pile it high and thick like I do for my oncidiums, or give s sparing, thin layer like I do for bulbos?

4- This is a low-light orchid, correct? Would it like bulbophyllum light or oncidium light better?

I hope these aren't too many questions- I just want to give this plant the best possible start it can have so I can enjoy more blooms sooner. Let me know what you think!

Attached are some pictures- the flower is broken, but I am hopeful that it might produce one more?

lotis146 05-16-2015 09:03 PM

Just want to congratulate you on your purchases, and for $8 no less! Other than that I'm not much use to you with this plant as I do not have any, but I can say I finally got to smell one this spring and it's delightful! Enjoy! I'm sure you'll get plenty of great advice seeing as it is such a popular plant. :D

My Green Pets 05-16-2015 09:27 PM

Here's an article on AOS that you may find helpful.

I recently got one as well and was told to give it bright light and lots of moisture. We will see.

https://www.aos.org/Default.aspx?id=180

KonaLady 05-16-2015 11:12 PM

Nice looking plant and a great bargain! It definitely needs bright light and lots of water to bloom well. I got mine a couple of years ago at Carmela. I kept it in phal-type light and didn't water a whole lot. It "rewarded" me with one or two flowers. Moved it to where it gets full sun in the morning (it is outside year-round as I live in Hawaii) and is watered daily. This year it has more than 40 flowers. It gets very leggy as the pbulbs grow upright on the rhizome. It is a great plant and fragrance is really strong, hence the nickname "coconut orchid." Enjoy!

NYCorchidman 05-18-2015 12:26 PM

Oh, my what have you done? lol
The fragrance might be a bit too much for you.

I love coconut smell and all, but that thing just gives me a big headache. hahaha

What does your mom say?

astrid 05-18-2015 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCorchidman (Post 752418)
Oh, my what have you done? lol
The fragrance might be a bit too much for you.

I love coconut smell and all, but that thing just gives me a big headache. hahaha

What does your mom say?

Mine hasn't smelled a bit yet! I don't know if the flower being broken made it hold off the fragrance, or if it just needs a warm day to start making a smell for me.

I love how you remember my picky nose ahahahaaaaa

My mom lives somewhere else but I've recently gotten her a miltoniopsis herr alexander for her birthday, and for mother's day I just gave her a sherry baby. I hope she loves that fragrance!
Speaking of my mom... the sherry baby had a lot of pbulbs and new growths, so when I repotted it for her, I snatched a division of it for myself!! I'm terrible!!!!

As for my maxillaria- well, if I hate the smell I can always sell it at the orchid society meeting next week! No harm done!! But thanks for the warning!!

cbuchman 05-18-2015 12:57 PM

One of the most beautiful displays of this orchid that I've seen had it mounted on a wooden shutter. As the plant has a climbing habit, it was growing up the slates of the mount and as a result all the blooms were facing forward. It was stunning. If I ever divide mine, this is what I plant to do with the division.

What a Find at TJs!

Leafmite 05-18-2015 01:10 PM

Congratulations! The max-ten is a great orchid!
It is really easy to grow and I am guessing it would grow in anything or on anything. People grow this mounted, in moss, in bark.... I grow mine in large red lava rock and a basket pot. I keep the pot sitting in a bowl of water. It gets high Cattleya light.

Jackie26085 05-21-2015 11:49 PM

What a find! Our TJ is almost exclusively phal and oncidium, although I did pick up a leilacattleya and a den nobile. Happy growing!

astrid 05-22-2015 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackie26085 (Post 753077)
What a find! Our TJ is almost exclusively phal and oncidium, although I did pick up a leilacattleya and a den nobile. Happy growing!

Same with my TJ's, but sometimes you find a winner there. I got my den kingianum and nobile from there. I also have gotten a paph there <3