Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchids in Bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/)
-   -   Corybas geminigibbus (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchids-in-bloom/84403-corybas-geminigibbus.html)

TOMMYMIAMI 04-13-2015 08:35 PM

Corybas geminigibbus

10 Attachment(s)
Corybas geminigibbus - another "orchid growing" milestone checked! Finally, after last year failure, I have first two Corybas blooming! Cool growing terrestrial species from Borneo and Malaysia, also called the "helmet orchid". I did try many different ways last year, none of which did work well, I did make tuber grow tiny leaves, but they never bloomed, and leaves rotted, some very fast, some took months before falling off. Did grow in sphagnum, in terrestrial mix, in my own creating, in glass jar, in McDonnald's plastic cup with dome lid, put pine needles on the top of the mix as I read is recommended, really tried it all, but no success. This year I went with my guts and very simple. I kept dormant tubers in plastic cup with the lid, just very lightly moist sphagnum, checking them every week. Once I saw first nobs on the side, I did move the tuber to the $1 tiny plastic greenhouse from the Target, and as a mix, I did use eBay purchased mix of pumice, turface and lava rocks, called also Bonsai Soil (I did use this mix many times in past for terrestrials). Tubers are not buried in the mix, only sitting on the top, with very few pieces of life sphagnum moss around. I did make 8 holes on the top of the plastic cover for the greenhouse. I do keep greenhouse closed at all times, and water very carefully only the soil, never over the leaves, using weak fertilizer solution and adding some sugar daddy , seaweed, and MagiCal. Using ONLY RO water!!! It is sitting on my inside table between other setups, definitely more light than last year, gets some indirect light from the LED used for other setups around! Temperatures are 76F days and 68F nights. There are some 6 tubers, mix of Corybas calopeplos and geminigobbus, first two open blooms are geminigibbus, there is more growing, so let's hope calopeplos show the bloom too!

RosieC 04-14-2015 08:00 AM

So cool, congratulations on getting it blooming!

TOMMYMIAMI 04-14-2015 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieC (Post 745692)
So cool, congratulations on getting it blooming!

Many thanks Rosie

Pattywack 04-14-2015 09:59 AM

Congratulations again, you are a very dedicated grower indeed. That bloom looks as if it is singing. What an awesome flower, you must be thrilled.

TOMMYMIAMI 04-14-2015 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pattywack (Post 745720)
Congratulations again, you are a very dedicated grower indeed. That bloom looks as if it is singing. What an awesome flower, you must be thrilled.

Thanks Patty, I am!

TOMMYMIAMI 04-16-2015 11:58 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Just a few more pics I did yesterday, they are truly amazing species!

No-Pro-mwa 04-16-2015 12:22 PM

OK, so I am reading this before I take a look at the pic''s, right, and Shannon is thinking no way would I go to these lengths. Then I take a look at the flowers and I take it all back :bowing way to go. I don't think I have ever seen anything as cool as these blooms.

All hale !!!!! But I don't think I will try these any time soon. I'm a slave to more than I want now :roll:

TOMMYMIAMI 04-16-2015 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by No-Pro-mwa (Post 746268)
OK, so I am reading this before I take a look at the pic''s, right, and Shannon is thinking no way would I go to these lengths. Then I take a look at the flowers and I take it all back :bowing way to go. I don't think I have ever seen anything as cool as these blooms.

All hale !!!!! But I don't think I will try these any time soon. I'm a slave to more than I want now :roll:

I know Shannon, and, with some, I would not go this crazy. But there are just species that are on my "dream list", not only to own, but to somehow make them bloom here, in our extremely hot Miami. And I just do not want to give up, even after failure and failure, till I really give up ( I am there, or at least very close with most terrestrials, that I can make somehow wake up from dormancy and grow little, but than growths dying on me small and before ever blooming). Corybas was always a dream, and with me, it is always make it bloom and take great pictures, both achieved now!

No-Pro-mwa 04-16-2015 01:48 PM

Tommy, I think they call it stubborn. Sorry I had to.

TOMMYMIAMI 04-16-2015 01:56 PM

:rofl::rofl::rofl:you are so RIGHT Shannon!!!