Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Species (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/)
-   -   Phal. stuartiana in bloom! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/species/83946-phal-stuartiana-bloom.html)

lotis146 03-25-2015 07:01 PM

Phal. stuartiana in bloom!

4 Attachment(s)
:waving

Got this little guy at the Grand Valley Orchid Society show couple months ago. It was in spike at the time, and gosh waiting for these to open felt like forever.

When I first brought it home there were a couple more buds at nodes below the top of the spike. Those blasted. I thought eh oh well, a bit expected with the change in conditions. So then I had the main four buds. Finally within the last week they started to open. I'll be dammed though if one of the buds didn't start to blast right after I gave it a bit of water. Then two blooms open and a second bud blasted!!! So I'm still happy for the two flowers but that makes me nervous.

Attachment 110320

Attachment 110321

I included this pic because actually right now the flowers aren't as stark white as the above, and as they were at first. They've got a tint of yellow to them which you can see a bit in the image below. Not sure if this is normal or a bad sign, nervous after losing two buds.
Attachment 110322

Attachment 110323

No-Pro-mwa 03-26-2015 12:48 PM

It's very pretty. I hope nothing is wrong with it. I just love those leaves.

lotis146 03-27-2015 12:27 AM

Thanks! The blooms are still looking happy as far as I'm concerned. I'm wondering if maybe I let it get too dry and by the time I gave it some water (to stave off thirst until I did a full water/feed a few days later) it was too late. I also hadn't been keeping up with filling my humidifier (given that requires purifying out water first until I get the filter to keep down the white dust).

I too LOVE the leaves, it was more than half the reason I snatched it up. I've not seen a lot of Phals, at least in person, with mottled leaves like the Phals. Fabulous.

Draft 03-27-2015 08:09 PM

Such great looking leaves, and a very attractive flower to boot. Very cool plant.

lotis146 03-27-2015 08:28 PM

Thank you! It's such a small little plant I can't feel guilty about getting this guy, nor should anyone else. Mwah ha ha!

CPKidofAugusta 03-27-2015 11:32 PM

Sorry to distract; Is that an owl?

lotis146 03-28-2015 04:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CPKidofAugusta (Post 741978)
Sorry to distract; Is that an owl?

;)

Yes, yes it is. A little sculpture my pops gave me couple years ago. He wanted to be in the shot, even if it's a little bit creepy. :biggrin:

No-Pro-mwa 03-31-2015 11:00 AM

Oh goodness I missed the owl. It does look creepy, it looks kind of like a ghost.

CPKidofAugusta 03-31-2015 05:35 PM

I sorta like the owl. And nice growing, it seems so young.

P.S. I have a schilleriana a little smaller than this stuartiana and the roots do the same thing. They never grow into the pot as one would like.

lotis146 04-01-2015 12:14 PM

Interesting bit about the roots. Wondering if when I repot this little guy I should leave those out or go ahead and pot it up in something bigger. It does seem to be quite young, which is not a problem.

Glad you like the owl. :)