Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Ahoy from the Island of Montreal! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/81551-ahoy-island-montreal.html)

ula 12-02-2014 12:07 PM

Ahoy from the Island of Montreal!

Hello all my fellow Orchid Enthusiasts!
Yes, I'm one of the lurkers that finally decided to join- that is after expanding my collection of orchids enough to start having desires, doubts and questions that needed to be satisfied ;). I thought to myself: what a wonderful place, with all the gurus giving their advice freely and free of charge:cloud9:
Being a newbie at my orchid hobby (caught orchidosis about 2 years ago...maybe a bit more if I count the phals :)), I try to educate myself from various sources in hopes I don't kill my lovelies. Winters are hard up here and sometimes last from November all the way to June, so winter/spring bloom at home is perfect for me to chase away the winter blues. My collection is still small, but I'm addicted to orchid shows, and I see no cure in sight:help.
My work and family don't leave me a lot time to be much involved in the online social environment, so I appologize for not being around very often, showing up just to ask for advice and not giving anything in return (still new). Also, please forgive my sometimes weird sense of humour- it's not my intention to offend anyone, but my deranged mind "works in mysterious ways".
All this said, it's with sadness, that I'd like to mention that after following different threads for a couple of weeks, I find a certain degree of animosity, condescention, patronizing and arrogance. We're here, because we have a love for orchids, so can we all make an effort to exhibit some fellowship qualities and show love for one another (I know, I know, I sound like a preacher or a peace hippie), plzzz?

Cheers and happy growing!
Ursula.

Gage 12-02-2014 12:43 PM

Hi Ursula! Glad you joined! Yea unfortunately some people use forums like this as an outlet for their personal issues. You will find people like that everywhere, but online they tend to be a bit more bold in their meanness. That said, there are plenty of kind, knowledgeable, and helpful people here. Bud and Tucker85 are especially knowledgeable, so trust their advice when they give it. :) Welcome!

Gage

wintergirl 12-02-2014 12:43 PM

Welcome Ursula. Love this board. Although I am a newbie too, everyone has been friendly and helpful. I especially like all the photos members post.

DeaC 12-02-2014 04:18 PM

Hey there and nice to meet you! When and if you tire of orchid talk,maybe we can get into hockey! I'm always eager to learn more in both topics!

RNCollins 12-03-2014 01:01 AM

:waving

Hi Ursula!

Welcome from New York!

ula 12-03-2014 09:57 AM

Thank you for the warm welcome!
I hope I don't get bashed too often, 'cause I'm such a delicate flower :evil:. I may lack passion on the science side of orchid growing, but for me this hobby is just one sphere of my life, not life itself. I greatly respect people with knowledge, but I admire people who are able to share it without bias.

Viva la vida loca :biggrin:.
:canuck: (just couldn't resist this one).

---------- Post added at 09:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeaC (Post 718382)
Hey there and nice to meet you! When and if you tire of orchid talk,maybe we can get into hockey! I'm always eager to learn more in both topics!

Are you sure hockey is a safe topic here;)?

WhiteRabbit 12-03-2014 05:21 PM

:welcomeflowers:

Jenn4a 12-03-2014 07:32 PM

Hello! :D Newbie here,
I've been lurking too. OB has a lot of great info!

RosieC 12-24-2014 04:50 AM

Welcome to Orchid Board :welcome:

Dillon123 12-24-2014 07:33 AM

Welcome, can't wait to see some of you plants:biggrin: