Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Can white fly affect orchids? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/80618-white-fly-affect-orchids.html)

Bobits 10-17-2014 07:50 AM

Can white fly affect orchids?

I have a beautiful hibiscus plant (tree variety) that I love indoors for winter. They are very prone to white fly when indoors as there are no natural predators to the little pests. I currently have the tree near my orchid table. I wanted to make sure that if white fly reappears this winter, they won't infect my orchid collection. Thoughts?

camille1585 10-17-2014 10:23 AM

Whiteflies are generalist insects, so yes, in theory they can infest the orchids.

PaphMadMan 10-17-2014 10:43 AM

Buds and flowers of all orchids would be susceptible. Certain types with hard foliage, like many Catts or Phals, would be at minimal risk for mature growth, but softer new growth would be at risk.

silken 10-17-2014 10:46 AM

I've had to deal with white flies before I had orchids and they were very difficult to eradicate. I wouldn't want to risk my orchids to them.

NYCorchidman 10-19-2014 01:35 AM

White Flies are horrible pests.
Do all you can to get rid of them before taking anything with them indoor.

lepetitmartien 10-22-2014 06:07 PM

They will go after the plant the most feeble and tasty. I've never had them on orchids, but on Geranium species only, just like my only meetings with boisduvalii is on Ficus benjamina and not that big an issue. Most pests will go after the plants unable to protect themselves and you never know which ones till you see.

Trouble is, you won't be able to be sure the flies won't go after your orchids…

Another issue is that white flies are resistant to most insecticides.

I've managed to care of them after 2 years of trials when I applied a product with emulsified oil inside (Biplantol contra XL). They are small enough to be affected by the insecticidal oil. But be sure the one you use is well emulsified, or it'll clog the stomates of the leaves.

orchidsarefun 10-22-2014 07:51 PM

they do seem to prefer certain plants. I had a severe infestation on some indoor basil plants only. They avoided the orchids for something tastier. I used neem oil and that blitzed them. That and butterworts......
Of course I waited a while before I used the basil leaves again.

Leafmite 10-22-2014 08:39 PM

I usually use granular rose systemic for my hibiscus. It takes care of all the wonderful things that inflicts hibiscus. I would advise you to do it, too. A year or so of treating the hibiscus will break the infestation.
In the past, I have dealt with white fly and it is not very pleasant. Yes, sometimes you are lucky and they find a favorite host and stick with that but they can also spread throughout your entire collection. I treated my plants with the systemic for a few years and haven't seen white fly for about ten years, thankfully.
Some plants are sensitive to the granular systemic (based on experience) but hibiscus is not one of them. Good luck!