Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pet Depot (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/)
-   -   2 types of lizard compatible w chids (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pet-depot/80530-2-types-lizard-compatible-chids.html)

Optimist 10-12-2014 11:09 AM

2 types of lizard compatible w chids

I have been thinking of vetting an unusual pet. I've gone through the reading on koi, goldfish, various parrots, and am now on lizards.

The lizards that really attract me are panther chamillions, most likely a male blue bar ambilobe.

Another lizard that interests me is a leopard gecko. I am not sure which design or pattern yet. I would rather have an insectivor or vegetarian animal. I like the chamilion better.

Of these two which is more likely to eat and destroy my orchid

Subrosa 10-12-2014 10:33 PM

Leopard Geckos are desert creatures. I don't see them as suitable for an orchid setup. Chameleons are 100% carnivorous. They're far more likely to damage plants by climbing on them than eating them.

KonaLady 10-13-2014 12:13 AM

Gold dust gecko

I live in Hawaii and have many gold dust geckos living among my orchids in the yard. They are great at eating bugs and are adorable (think Geico gecko). I especially like their little blue toes! I don't use pesticides as I don't want to harm them. My house is also very popular with them...cleaning up gecko poop is my 2nd hobby! I don't know if they are available in the pet trade. We also have anole, Hawaiian brown geckos, and I even found a Jackson's chameleon in my yard. Unusual at our elevation. They are amazingly cool!!

Paul 10-13-2014 10:02 AM

Most chams require very high humidity coupled with excellent air circulation. Furthermore, they won't drink from water bowls but rather lap water droplets off of leaves thus usually requiring a misting system.

Anoles or some of the smaller tropical geckos would be your best options. Though keep in mind, all would require you to add bugs to your set up as it is doubtful that you have enough naturally occurring in your set up to provide for them long term. Also, you will no long be able to use any poisons without risking killing the herps off.

Optimist 10-13-2014 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul (Post 709025)
Most chams require very high humidity coupled with excellent air circulation. Furthermore, they won't drink from water bowls but rather lap water droplets off of leaves thus usually requiring a misting system.

Anoles or some of the smaller tropical geckos would be your best options. Though keep in mind, all would require you to add bugs to your set up as it is doubtful that you have enough naturally occurring in your set up to provide for them long term. Also, you will no long be able to use any poisons without risking killing the herps off.

Those are very good points. I was definately thinking of breeding and gut loading superworms, certain roaches, crickets. So far I have used only diotomaceous clay and alchohol as an insecticide. I am studying the enclosures. It could be that I will just decide to make a plant only terrarium. I already do not use many sprays around the home because rats also have sensitive respratory systems, and I also do myself.

Biohazard156 10-15-2014 05:44 PM

You could look into geckos like crested geckos which can live on a mostly fruit based diet. The special frugiverous diets come in packets like space food which you rehydrate in small amounts. Mine gets bugs as a treat, hand fed to avoid them roaming free in enclosure. Not sure what temps you'd be looking at keeping them in but they are pretty temperate critters so room temp suits.

Another alternative which I used to keep are mourning geckos. Lepidodactylus legubris, a tiny parthenogenesis species which also like a fruit diet supplemented with small bugs. Won't damage orchids either as they are so small! Brilliant displays in a group, tail waving and chattering to each other!

Andre 10-15-2014 06:14 PM

I have a Phal. minus mounted in my Madagasgar giant day gecko
They are awake during the day, and would love the orchid lights.http://tapatalk.imageshack.com/v2/14...70ffb1c25c.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

AuGrower 10-17-2014 02:34 PM

Have you thought any about dart frogs? They have neat colors...I really don't know a lot about their care though but I assume its not too far from the orchids. They may not like air circ as the orchids do though.

Optimist 10-17-2014 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AuGrower (Post 709646)
Have you thought any about dart frogs? They have neat colors...I really don't know a lot about their care though but I assume its not too far from the orchids. They may not like air circ as the orchids do though.

Maybe phals. Warm growing, high humidity.

Andre 10-19-2014 10:01 AM

Frogs look amazing, but require little light. You can have them in a dimly lit room with no artificial light source. So many orchids would not thrive.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk