Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   crown rot Phal grows lots of new roots but no new leaves? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/80376-crown-rot-phal-grows-lots-roots-leaves.html)

dipoledipole 10-03-2014 09:15 PM

crown rot Phal grows lots of new roots but no new leaves?

5 Attachment(s)
This is my first phal I got from Trade Joes, it's a NoID mini phal. I abused it when I first got it, overwatered, over dried it, and then there's the crown rot. It lost almost all the leaves but two, luckily it had a pretty decent root system, so when I realized it had crown rot, I was able to rescue it with some powdered cinnamon I had in the kitchen. Anyway, I repotted in bark in a pint size 4 inch wide plastic takeout container, it's been two months since the repot, lots of root growth, root system probably doubled in size, but absolutely no signs of new leaves.

I kept it on a north window originally but then I moved it to a west facing window that gets some afternoon sun. It gets probably 2-3 hours of direct sun, the rest of the time it stays in bright shade. I gradually moved it towards the window, so it never received any major sunburn. it's sibling TJ phal (a doritaenopsis) in the same position has grew two new leaves, and the other sibling TJ phal is also enjoying the same condition, putting out many new roots. Since I check my orchids everyday, I water it when the bark looks like it's approaching dryness, it never really complete dry out nor has it ever sat in a puddle of water. I also fertilized it with half strength Miracle-Gro all purpose fertilizer 24-8-16 every few weeks.

I heard that potting orchids in a large pot would force the orchid to put all its energy into filling up the pot and not grow leaves, is my 4 inch pot too big for this orchid? Oh, it also got accidentally knocked over by my dad recently, the orchid fell out of the pot, no root damage, but I think I might have disturbed some of the root growth, as I see through the plastic pot. but some of the root tips are still actively growing. Anyway, I was just worried that it couldn't stand another repot if I had to repot it again.

What am I doing wrong here? Is there anything I can do to encourage the growth of a basal keiki on this poor baby? it got abused so many times since I brought it home, I feel incredibly sorry for it :(

Here's what the flower looks like:
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3935/...012206bc_s.jpgorchid by dipoledipole, on Flickr
here are some pictures of it now:

NYCorchidman 10-03-2014 09:34 PM

How long has it been since it had crown rot treatment??
It may take a while unless you can provide optimal growing conditions which is probably quite difficult now that the days are getting shorter and colder.
If you have a light set up and then somehow give it extra heat, it may resume growth in the form of basal keiki, but your best bet is to just wait until the spring comes and let the plant grow keikis on its own schedule.

Regarding having a plant in a large pot encourage the root growth while discouraging the leaf growth is total nonsense.

Pot size only has one thing to do with plant care, and that is how you water. Often, large pot for a small plant or plants with little roots can stay too wet for too long, but by adjusting the watering, it is not of much concern at all.
The often heard "orchids like it rootbound" probably stems from people having issues with root rot.
It has nothing to do with the pot size itself.

Remember, orchids in nature have no such containment and grow roots all over freely.

dipoledipole 10-03-2014 10:04 PM

aw, I guess I just have to wait for spring. I repotted it in mid July, so it's been two and half months since the cinnamon treatment.

Thank you for clearing things up! phew, I was so worried about repotting this baby again, it suffered way too many times.

NYCorchidman 10-03-2014 10:51 PM

If you already repotted it after the crown rot break out and have had no recurrence, then, there is no reason to repot.

It will do something in the spring, trust me! lol

Good luck!

My Green Pets 10-05-2014 11:11 AM

It is probably gathering strength for the new growth. Kudos on stopping the crown rot from destroying the whole plant!