Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   Found my way back to OB :) (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/80303-found-ob.html)

camille1585 09-30-2014 12:26 PM

Found my way back to OB :)

3 Attachment(s)
I’m back!
Wow, over 6 months since I’ve gone anywhere near OB. Life has a way of getting in the way sometimes. I don’t know how much of the old crowd is still around, but hello to you all! To the people who don’t know me, I was once a very active member and mod here, up until roughly a year or so ago when I progressively visited less and less.

I’m finally getting back to my orchids after a very prolonged haitus, during which they were quite severely neglected. I’ve been traveling quite a bit, getting more and more involved in my photography hobby, had a lot of changes in my private life in the past year (including a stressful move in June) and for most of this year I was dealing with a near burnout caused by too much work and stress (I’m a PhD student) which left me too exhausted to do anything. I feel better this fall, and am taking things slowly. The orchids are in bad shape though. My ongoing mealybug issue ballooned to take on gigantic proportions, and I’ve thrown out a substantial portion of the collection. So I cleaned up the survivors, segragated the infested orchids to the very back of the apartment, and am slowly building up a healthy collection again. I’m down to about 30 orchids, from a high of 95-100 2 years ago. This coming weekend I’m going to an orchid show, so I’ll be able to expand my collection quite a bit! My new apartment is great for orchids, the eating/living room has nearly 9 meters (30 feet!) of floor to ceiling windows, facing west and south. It’s an orchid dream (much to the boyfriend’s dismay). I’ve decided to focus on my true love, which are Phal species and primary hybrids, and only keep a limited amount of other genera, and eventually venture into the high light types, probably Catts and a few vandaceous orchids.

With the end of my PhD in sight (next summer) I doubt I’ll ever be on OB like I used to, but I will try to come here on a regular basis again. I’ve missed my orchids, and missed my orchid friends!

And to finish off, a few somewhat recent photos of some of the survivors; Dtps Liu's Berry, Howeara Lava Burst, Phal pallens.

cbuchman 09-30-2014 12:33 PM

Glad you are back and that life is full of promise again.

terracotta7 09-30-2014 02:45 PM

Welcome back Camille!!!! Thanks for sharing your wonderful pics!

Picotee 09-30-2014 02:50 PM

Lovely photos. Hope to see more as you have time.

Ferns Daddy 09-30-2014 03:23 PM

Welcome back

Leafmite 09-30-2014 03:36 PM

Great to hear from you again! Glad your life is back on track once more! :)

Phal grower 09-30-2014 04:42 PM

Glad you're back. It's funny how life circles around then returns even better than before. Nice pics of more to come I hope.

rochelle@58 09-30-2014 04:53 PM

Welcome back Camille!

Hi Camille -
Glad you're back. I've necer communicated directly with you but have appreciated your orchid knowledge. Hope great days are ahead for you!
Barb:twocents:

TOMMYMIAMI 09-30-2014 05:06 PM

Welcome back, nice to see you again! Your pictures are amazing!!!

WhiteRabbit 09-30-2014 07:25 PM

There you are! I've missed seeing you here!

Lovely blooms!