Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Bringing orchids inside (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/80019-bringing-orchids-inside.html)

mimigirl 09-10-2014 10:42 PM

Bringing orchids inside

I have a question about bringing orchids inside for winter. I know i need to isolate the ones I am bringing in from the others. But should I use an insecticide on them also? Thanks in advance for your input!:bowing

Fairorchids 09-11-2014 07:50 AM

I usually do, just in case.

Orchid Whisperer 09-11-2014 09:26 AM

For most of the summer, I have not used an insecticide. I will now likely spray twice with a systemic before bringing them in, once later this month, once next month. The systemic effect should keep any hitchhikers from setting up shop inside my home.

I also spray right after I set plants outdoors in the spring. Usually just once unless I see a problem. For some reason, I never see insect pests when the plants are outdoors, even during years when I have not sprayed anything (which is most years).

cbuchman 09-11-2014 09:35 AM

I also inspect the plants carefully for any hitchhikers. Each plant is visually inspected and I spray alcohol into crevices which can hide critters.

I continue with regular close examinations after things come inside too - thing can be missed and the sooner you catch it, the better!

If you use chemicals make sure that you follow directions carefully including how long to keep them outside after use.

Tschimm 09-11-2014 12:39 PM

I just dunk my mounts in a bucket of water for 10 minutes and the hidden critters crawl out.

mimigirl 09-11-2014 03:45 PM

Orchid Whisperer which systemic do you recommend? I would also use it on other plants.

My Green Pets 09-11-2014 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tschimm (Post 704014)
I just dunk my mounts in a bucket of water for 10 minutes and the hidden critters crawl out.

I'd like to do that but I'm afraid dunking them all in the same water could spread viruses or disease...?

I've started to apply fungicide/insecticide in the past couple of weeks after not spraying all summer. Temperatures are also dropping quickly...getting down to 8°C/46°F Saturday night, so best be preparing for bringing all the green pets in!

lotis146 09-12-2014 01:45 AM

I've been wondering about this myself, well the whole process of bringing them back in. I had planned to spray but hadn't exactly thought about a systemic which really makes the most sense, just to be safe. I brought a handful in tonight that are in bud/bloom because I worried leaving them out in upper 40 fahrenheit may cause them to blast...then again I worry that bringing them in will have the same effect! Lol...sheesh...since I plan to put them right back out tomorrow I didn't worry about spraying.

I too have refrained from spraying all summer. In the spring and early summer I did have quite a few earwigs, but overall I feel like I've been lucky enough. That said I don't have total faith that there's nothing in them. So like mimigirl, what systemic do you recommend?

And back to my other question, what's the best way to treat spiking/budded/blooming plants?

Thanks everyone! (I'm a little bit anxious feeling about having to bring them all in! I feel like the space balance has been perfect...considering more than half of them have been outside...oh gosh and watering has been easier...rain...hose...:()

mimigirl 09-12-2014 10:19 AM

lotis146 i am so glad you asked that same question about systemic brands. I would rather someone who has used it to tell me which brand or ingredients are safe for use on orchids.

MattWoelfsen 09-12-2014 01:39 PM

Migration from outside to inside is one of the few processes I observe growing my orchids. I have already started the process.

When I know that in a week or two that the overnight temps are going to be below 50*F, I start 'the chemical process.' This past Monday, I dunked all of my plants in Physan20, a bacteriacide. Tomorrow, I dunk with Thiomyl, a fungicide. Next week, Tuesday or Wednesday, I'll dunk them all in a Neem oil and dish detergent (not anti-bacterial or scented). With the Neem oil dunk, they stay inside. And from there on, they are in their Fall into Winter lifestyle.

If any of my plants are in bloom or spiking, I am very careful that none of these chemicals get onto this growth as they are sensitive to anything but water and a steady temperature (too cold or too hot causes bud blast--in my experience).

I caution you, this is my experience in my corner of Fort Wayne, Indiana. Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) but this is what I do with my collection. I look forward to this change in the season, as suddenly my indoor space is alive with green and growing things.