Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Introductions - Break the Ice ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/)
-   -   New here.. not so new to orchids! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/introductions-break-the-ice-/79-orchids.html)

Stefanie 08-01-2005 04:58 PM

New here.. not so new to orchids!

Howdy! My name is Stef and I like orchids :D.

I live in Alexandria, Virginia, and am president of the Hollin Hills Orchid Society. I am also a very active member of the National Capital Orchid Society (in DC).

I have my own orchid & orchid supply business (Quarter Acre Orchids), which I started when Kensington Orchids (in MD) closed several years ago. I have two greenhouses, one shade house, one husband and five cats! I am very into spotted Cattleya, and anything breed with Richard Mueller!

I also work full time as a network administrator, and love to travel! It all keeps me busy, but that's a good thing!

Stef

Tindomul 08-01-2005 05:07 PM

Sounds like you belong here alright!
Maybe you can help us make this the center of the virtual orchid world! Get the word spread to the members of you society!

Have a great time here!

Oscarman 08-02-2005 01:31 PM

Re: New here.. not so new to orchids!

Welcome aboard Stef.

I see from your website that you do not ship outside the USA. Too bad as some of us are trying to source clear plastic pots for Canada, and you have a GREAT selection.

Marty 08-02-2005 01:48 PM

Re: New here.. not so new to orchids!

heheh... Sounds like you signed up to Orchids Anonymous :lol:

Stef, that sounds exactly like me...minus the greenhouses, husband and the cats.... :lol: Welcome aboard, and yes...do spread the word about orchidboard in your society. The more people the better it will be around here.

Marty

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stefanie
Howdy! My name is Stef and I like orchids :D.

I live in Alexandria, Virginia, and am president of the Hollin Hills Orchid Society. I am also a very active member of the National Capital Orchid Society (in DC).

I have my own orchid & orchid supply business (Quarter Acre Orchids), which I started when Kensington Orchids (in MD) closed several years ago. I have two greenhouses, one shade house, one husband and five cats! I am very into spotted Cattleya, and anything breed with Richard Mueller!

I also work full time as a network administrator, and love to travel! It all keeps me busy, but that's a good thing!

Stef

R Srinivasan 11-18-2006 03:20 PM

Spotted cats.

Stefanie, I am one with you in popularising spotted or blotcthed cattleya hybrids. It is a mystry why few spotted cattleya hybrids are to be seen an the best of the international suppliers. Only two cattleya species, namely C. acclandaie and C.schillerianna (correct me please)that have spotted flowers. I suppose one of the forms of C. guttata v. leopoldii had blotches.Both blotches and spots are dominant characters genetically and pass this features to their progeny. I have cross between cattleya bowringiana abd Brassavola nodosa which exhibits spots on petals and sepals while both the parents do not have any spots! Believe me, this primary hybrid grows in full Bombay sun luxuriating and flowering throughout the year even if grown in plain gritty river sand.

justatypn 11-18-2006 09:05 PM

:welcome: Aboard Stef, its great to have you here at the OB. The community here is the friendliest and am sure you come well versed with orchid information.