Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Haraella rectrocalla (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/77509-haraella-rectrocalla.html)

TOMMYMIAMI 05-14-2014 01:21 PM

Haraella rectrocalla

Haraella rectrocalla - this is probably one of the most awarding miniature orchids - I have 3, each of them is nonstop blooming for the past 10 months, some with one, some with 3 spikes, opening new blooms over and over again on each spike! Amazing!

cbuchman 05-14-2014 03:39 PM

Tommy- I have one too - a recent acquisition. I mounted it on cork. Any culture tips. Obviously you're having great success!

RandomGemini 05-14-2014 03:57 PM

Very neat! What's the little purple flower blooming in the photo with it?

Leafmite 05-14-2014 04:03 PM

The easiest way to grow this is to mount it on lava rock, put the rock in a clear plastic container or vase, keep a little water on the bottom, put the lid on, and leave it go. I have a second one that is mounted on a stick (from Andy's) and it is also in a plastic container but I have to take it out and dunk it in water. If you have a humid environment, you won't need the extra humidity.

Ordphien 05-14-2014 04:04 PM

Beautiful!
I'm jealous.
I seriously can't get mine to do anything but make roots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Leafmite 05-14-2014 04:05 PM

Just beautiful! I agree that this is a winner! I had to buy a second one as I like it so much!

nikkik 05-14-2014 04:45 PM

Awesome, I really like these orchids.

TOMMYMIAMI 05-14-2014 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuchman (Post 678809)
Tommy- I have one too - a recent acquisition. I mounted it on cork. Any culture tips. Obviously you're having great success!

Carrie, very easy, must say, I do provide exactly the same culture like for any of my Phalaenopsis orchids - low light, moist but not soggy, letting dry between waterings slightly, fertilizing very low, like really low, since they are mounted with mosses, I cant use much fertilizer (it kills moss). They seem to love whatever I do! They have also very lovely smell of citrus, in the morning:-) Roots love to attach to anything, I have one on driftwood and there are so many roots, the one on hygrolon the same thing, so the cork will work just fine!

---------- Post added at 04:55 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:54 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordphien (Post 678820)
Beautiful!
I'm jealous.
I seriously can't get mine to do anything but make roots.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Ordphien, that is really odd, the only thing I can think is temperature, cause as I wrote here, I do hardly fertilize this guy, and it has pretty low light (one has bright light, but this one has very low light), and it is growing and blooming nonstop, there are so many new roots too, and new leaves, it grows like weeds for me, THANKS GOD!

---------- Post added at 04:57 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:55 PM ----------

thanks nikkik and Leafmite, I thing this is a great "starting" miniature for newbies to small orchid world!

RosieC 05-15-2014 04:16 AM

Really lovely!

I've not got mine to bloom yet, but not had it long. I grow it on a cork mount and keep that in an open top clear container with water in the bottom. Before I put the mount in that it was dehydrating fast.

What sort of light should I be giving this?

cbuchman 05-15-2014 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYMIAMI (Post 678832)
Carrie, very easy, must say, I do provide exactly the same culture like for any of my Phalaenopsis orchids - low light, moist but not soggy, letting dry between waterings slightly, fertilizing very low, like really low, since they are mounted with mosses, I cant use much fertilizer (it kills moss). They seem to love whatever I do! They have also very lovely smell of citrus, in the morning:-) Roots love to attach to anything, I have one on driftwood and there are so many roots, the one on hygrolon the same thing, so the cork will work just fine![COLOR="Silver"]

Thanks Tommy. Mine is growing roots like crazy which is always a good thing. I might be using too much fertilizer, so I will cut back there. Can't wait for mine to bloom (it came in bloom, but that doesn't really count :))