Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Coelogyne Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/coelogyne-alliance/)
-   -   Pleione formosana (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/coelogyne-alliance/75686-pleione-formosana.html)

TOMMYMIAMI 03-02-2014 04:59 PM

Pleione formosana

Pleione formosana - purchased at Tamiami show in January, potted mid February in Aussie gold mix, the first bloom opened today. I do grow them inside the apartment. To achieve re blooming next year, I will keep the bulb in the fridge for the dormancy period in the winter time. I wish I got more, they were so cheap at the show, but they are pricy online. I plant to get different ones too this year:-)

Paul Mc 03-02-2014 05:43 PM

Great color on that, and so tiny!

Paul McMahon
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Picotee 03-02-2014 05:48 PM

Adorable!

TOMMYMIAMI 03-02-2014 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paul Mc (Post 660743)
Great color on that, and so tiny!

Paul McMahon
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Thanks Paul

---------- Post added at 06:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picotee (Post 660747)
Adorable!

Many thanks!

tuvoc 03-03-2014 10:04 AM

Sweet.

Kim

WhiteRabbit 03-03-2014 01:17 PM

Cute! Now I need some of these ;)

Bud 03-03-2014 05:06 PM

you made it bloom in half a month! that is awesome....I like the monochromatic color ....the lip is just lovely

RosieC 03-04-2014 03:34 AM

Gorgeous, I have this in flower as well.

Don't worry about not getting more, they should soon multiply. I see you have a flower and another shoot, that should mean two bulbs form through the year and next year you will have two instead of one. Then the year after you get two shoots again from each (two flowers, or two shoots or one of each again like this year) so then you have four bulbs the year after that. That's how I got up to 8 this year, from 1 in 2011 :)

---------- Post added at 08:34 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:32 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 660983)
you made it bloom in half a month! that is awesome....I like the monochromatic color ....the lip is just lovely

That's how these go, the are dormant in the winter and you bring them inside Jan/Feb time and within a couple of weeks they will be flowering (assuming big enough to flower) and then they grow the leaves before going dormant again late in the summer.

I love Pleiones :)

TOMMYMIAMI 03-04-2014 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 660983)

Thanks Bud, I know, right, me and my friend, both of us got them at the show, just bulbs, she potted her into sphagnum, hers grew exactly the same way, in not even 3 weeks blooming, she has them on south window with lot of sun inside the house, mine is potted in Aussie gold, and by the balcony window, less light, inside the apartment. I was shocked how fast they did bloom for us, so let's wee if we can grow them and provide good winter rest in the fridge to rebloom next year:-)

---------- Post added at 09:38 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:36 PM ----------

Thanks Rosie, I know they should grow new bulb, so I hope to have at least 2 next year, will see how it will grow in the apartment:-)

OCRC_Dir_China 03-05-2014 12:41 AM

Great.........