Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Maxillaria Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/)
-   -   Lyc. Shoalhaven in bloom (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/maxillaria-alliance/74866-lyc-shoalhaven-bloom.html)

cbuchman 01-31-2014 01:30 PM

Lyc. Shoalhaven in bloom

1 Attachment(s)
Still playing with my new camera :). This is Lyc. Shoalhaven. It has only 3 pbulbs and one bloom and another bud about to open. I had remembered it as being pure white, so I was pleased to see the subtle yellow on the lip. I grow this one shady and keep it moist while it is growing. Outdoors in the summer. I use KLN monthly in the spring/summer to encourage new growth and then back off a bit as the new growth matures. MSU in minute quantity (i.e. 1/2 teaspoon/1.5 gallons) at almost every watering. I understand that Lycastes like few medium yearly, so after it blooms I will repot it, probably in the same pot.

I really do like the Lycastes. I wished they bloomed multiple times a year. I think I need to get some more :)

Attachment 94429

Call_Me_Bob 01-31-2014 02:21 PM

Love it! I'm beginning to get attached to Lycastes too! We have a lot at Fishing Creek orchids and I love to go in an see and smell them when they bloom!! WE have one that Steve got an FCC on, it's INCREDIBLE!

cbuchman 01-31-2014 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Call_Me_Bob (Post 651946)
Love it! I'm beginning to get attached to Lycastes too! We have a lot at Fishing Creek orchids and I love to go in an see and smell them when they bloom!! WE have one that Steve got an FCC on, it's INCREDIBLE!

Bob,
Will Fishing Creek be at the DCOS show? I'm always looking for my next great plant!

Call_Me_Bob 01-31-2014 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuchman (Post 651948)
Bob,
Will Fishing Creek be at the DCOS show? I'm always looking for my next great plant!

By DCOS,in washington DC? If so, yes!? We will be at the MOS show in Timonium, MD, and the NCOS (National Capitol Orchid Society) show in Washington DC.

cbuchman 01-31-2014 02:38 PM

Bob,
DCOS is Deep Cut Orchid Society. There show is next week in Holmdel NJ.

Call_Me_Bob 01-31-2014 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuchman (Post 651956)
Bob,
DCOS is Deep Cut Orchid Society. There show is next week in Holmdel NJ.

I see. We will not be attending that show. I think we will be in NJ for the Shore Orchid Fest at Silva's though.

WhiteRabbit 01-31-2014 04:16 PM

Ooo! Lovely!

terracotta7 01-31-2014 04:20 PM

Beautiful! I saw my first real lycastes at the NNJOS and they were so much bigger than I had imagined! I want one!!!!

Thanks for sharing!

Fairorchids 01-31-2014 04:24 PM

Carrie,

I just got a shipment of mixed Lycastes in. They will be in the Tewkesbury sales area at the Deep Cut show.

Br,
Kim

cbuchman 01-31-2014 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fairorchids (Post 651985)
Carrie,

I just got a shipment of mixed Lycastes in. They will be in the Tewkesbury sales area at the Deep Cut show.

Br,
Kim

Kim,
Save the best ones for me :). See you on Wed.