Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/)
-   -   Ascofinetia cherry blossom culture (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-neofinetia/74210-ascofinetia-cherry-blossom-culture.html)

dougbraz 01-07-2014 07:57 AM

Ascofinetia cherry blossom culture

Mine is in a ceramic pot, in a fairly standard mix of bark chips, charcoal and some gravel (how it came from the shop) and has flowered for two years now, yet the flowers seem to be "low down" in the pot and you can't really appreciate them as much as say an ascocenda blossom (allowing for scale, of course).
There are lots of aerial roots which I spray every day and so far so good.
I just wonder if I should take it out the vase and put it in a basket - more like an asco or vanda. The aerial roots are the reason that make me think this may be the "better" way to go.
Any pointers from other growers?
Thanks
Doug

Vanda lover 01-07-2014 10:37 AM

You should be able to Grow this in a basket.

dougbraz 01-07-2014 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vanda lover (Post 644871)
You should be able to Grow this in a basket.

A wooden (slatted) basket with just a bit of sphagnum to keep "some" moisture? Or do you mean one of those plain plastic basket/vase thingys that people use for vandas with nothing in them?

Sorry for the ignorant question..but we live and learn..

MattWoelfsen 01-07-2014 02:15 PM

I have this plant and I grow it like a Neofinetia-->in slotted Neofinetia pot and high mound, long fiber sphagnum moss. But unlike Neofinetia, I mist it daily and water it weekly. It is not getting much of a winter rest

dougbraz 01-07-2014 02:26 PM

Tks for the input Matt. An actual slotted neofinetia pot is hard to come by here, as far as I know, but from that I can deduce you grow them in airy and moist conditions, so if I were to grow it in a plastic vanda basket loosely wrapped with long fibre (Chilean is the best I can hope for here) sphagnum, kept moist but not dripping wet, I should on the right path - better than a ceramic vase with woodchips and stones at least! Oddly enough with regards to lighting, it withstood full sunlight on a west facing balcony all year long.

MattWoelfsen 01-07-2014 04:06 PM

That is right dougbraz...what we have to provide these plants is moisture it can absorb but not allowing moisture to linger--with good air circulation around the roots, that will help the roots dry out.

Another OrchidBoard friend gifted me a very nice Neofinetia pot that she made herself. If you PM me with your mailing address, I'll return the favor! I have a spare 3" Neofinetia slotted pot and a 3.5" size pot. They are very inexpensive. I have worked for many months in your beautiful Brasil.

Fairorchids 01-21-2014 05:40 PM

I grow mine in both pots and net pots. They do fine with medium in the post (mix of spaghnum & bark), which keeps them content when I am out of town on business.

Neostylis Lou Sneary tends to have relatively short spikes, which barely clear the pot/basket, so that is normal behaviour for this plant.

Pilot 01-21-2014 06:59 PM

Grow mine barefoot in vase culture and another in semi hydroponics. They love either method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Vanda lover 01-21-2014 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot (Post 649138)
Grow mine barefoot in vase culture and another in semi hydroponics. They love either method.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's good to hear. I just might try that. I have a vanda in vase culture and it loves it, so I imagine these would too.

Pilot 01-21-2014 09:27 PM

I meant it to say bare root. Not barefoot. Lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk