Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Orchid Lounge (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/)
-   -   An orchid tracking system . . . (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/orchid-lounge/74181-orchid-tracking-system.html)

blackvine 01-05-2014 09:26 PM

An orchid tracking system . . .

4 Attachment(s)
Hi, all –

I thought I would share my system of keeping track of my orchids, and their needs and progress. Maybe this will help some newbies out there or even experienced growers. I’m kind of a newbie myself, with just over a year of growing, and a little bit of success.

While an actual database program would be great, Excel works, too. Here’s my system:
  1. One workbook, two spreadsheets.
    • The first is an inventory/progress sheet (pic 1). Each orchid is inventory-numbered and each row contains orchid by number, name, when purchased, mounted, potted, spiked and bloomed. Off to the right, not shown is a place for notes.
    • The second is for culture (pic 2). This shows each orchid in a row by light, water, and temp requirements. I key the light and water requirements from 0 – 4 and the key is shown below the rows.
  2. Then, to keep track of what they are doing, I take pics of each orchid about once a month and file in folders by their inventory numbers (pic 3).
  3. Each orchid has a plant marker with inventory, name, and key for water and light (pic 4).

It works for me and once you get the data loaded, is really easy. I hope it helps someone set up a system that’s helpful!

PS: Darn, those pics of the Excel spreadsheet and my photo folder didn't come out so well. If you blow it up, maybe you can see it!

SHag42 01-05-2014 10:20 PM

Great Idea! I will keep this in mind and hopefully set up one of my own. I think this would help me with my watering and show the progress of the plants.
Thank You for sharing.

blackvine 01-05-2014 10:22 PM

You are welcome, SHag42!

Laserbeak 01-07-2014 09:32 AM

I'm a programmer and was thinking about developing either a Mac or iPhone app for keeping track of orchids. I think there are some, but they don't look too great.

blackvine 01-07-2014 11:13 AM

Laser, I think the reason this works so well for me is because after eons in admin support, I know Excel really well. I don't see resounding shouts of "Hooray - great idea!" in response to my post and of course - duh! - that's because I forget that not everyone works with Excel!

Yeah - I agree about the apps out there - not great. Go invent!

Tabbyblack13 01-07-2014 11:20 AM

Laser, just make sure you have one for thr IPad too. I would pay to get one that was easy to add photos and keep track of potting methods used.

mpientka 01-07-2014 12:21 PM

Thanks, I will give this a try! But, I'd also like to see an ipad app :-)

Fairorchids 01-07-2014 12:25 PM

OrchidWiz allows you to enter your plants so you can track them. It also contains some rudimentary guides for culture (not too reliable for the more obscure species).

Laserbeak 01-07-2014 12:32 PM

OK, that's my next project... an orchid tracking/inventory program for iPhone/iPad. I think more people have those than have Macs.

---------- Post added at 12:32 PM ---------- Previous post was at 12:30 PM ----------

Everyone post what they'd like it to be able to do.

Orchid Whisperer 01-07-2014 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blackvine (Post 644881)
Laser, I think the reason this works so well for me is because after eons in admin support, I know Excel really well. I don't see resounding shouts of "Hooray - great idea!" in response to my post and of course - duh! - that's because I forget that not everyone works with Excel!

Yeah - I agree about the apps out there - not great. Go invent!

Blackvine, I think an Excel spreadsheet or application would be great for many of us.

I have made a rough stab at making an Excel spreadsheet that would keep track of my info on each plant, culture data, bloom dates, etc., but I have been so tied up in trying to decide what needs to be in it, that I haven't actually USED it yet. I need to get off my duff and enter the data for my plants into the beta version, then decide what improvements to make later on.

Thanks for sharing your approach!