Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Wire mounts for Vanda and Renanthera (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/73605-wire-mounts-vanda-renanthera.html)

Paschendale 12-11-2013 01:55 PM

Wire mounts for Vanda and Renanthera

While I'm about it, another question....

If this has already been addressed, I apologize and please point me to the appropriate post :blushing:

I have read a bit about being able to grow Vandas and Renantheras on nothing more than a piece of wire that hangs from a wall or on a treelimb and would like more information about how this is done. That just boggles my mind that some sort of potting media is not needed and I wonder how the plant takes nutrients and how you would fertilize such a plant. If it truly works, I would love to try it.

Having said that, what is the best way to pot or mount the types of orchids for long-term enjoyment, both for myself and the plant? I plan on moving them out onto my covered patio once the weather is warm enough and just have them inside during the cold weather.

Thanks again in advance!

Orchid Whisperer 12-11-2013 04:06 PM

A couple people in my orchid society do this. Essentially this is a vertical piece of wire with a loop at the top, the vanda is just tied to it. The two that I know that do this are growing in a greenhouse setting. Their plants on a wire grow & bloom well.

I am growing all of my vandaceous plants except two in vase culture. The roots go down into an empty vase just big enough for the roots. Roots are dry most of the time, but I fill the vase every other day with water & weak nutrients for a long soak (used to be just 30 minutes or so, now it is often several hours). Plants seem happy.

Paschendale 12-11-2013 04:13 PM

With root culture, is the plant mostly just perched in an empty vase, and you pour the water into the vase for a soak period, then drain the water off again? Interesting! Are all of the roots made to go down inside the vase, or do any of them hang over the sides? I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but may need to Google an image to be sure.

That may well be worth trying in my situation! I'll have to remember that.

Thanks!

Orchid Whisperer 12-11-2013 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Paschendale (Post 637989)
With root culture, is the plant mostly just perched in an empty vase, and you pour the water into the vase for a soak period, then drain the water off again? Interesting! Are all of the roots made to go down inside the vase, or do any of them hang over the sides? I'm trying to picture it in my mind, but may need to Google an image to be sure.

That may well be worth trying in my situation! I'll have to remember that.

Thanks!

Exactly!

The plants I am doing this with are all young. Some had few roots, floppy leaves when I got them, they are now growing new roots, have healthy leaves. With mine at the moment, all roots hang down in the vase.

Paschendale 12-11-2013 04:45 PM

Well I will try it with the vase for now, then, since they are quite young and don't have much root yet. Vases I've got, lol. Thanks for the tip! Maybe I can grow them a bit bigger before they hit the patio.