Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   Small black/brown spots on Cattleya leaves? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/72031-black-brown-spots-cattleya-leaves.html)

butterfly_muse 10-11-2013 02:13 PM

Small black/brown spots on Cattleya leaves?

6 Attachment(s)
Afternoon, all. I have been inspecting my plants pretty heavily this afternoon and noticed black spots on my cattleya's leaves. =\ Any idea what this is/how to fix it if it can be fixed?

Also in my last two pictures, the leaves were accidentally slammed shut in a window. :( I wiped them with alcohol but they are kind of ugly looking and I'm worried they are maybe infected?

Thanks!

NYCorchidman 10-11-2013 02:39 PM

I've never seen those tiny black spots on cattleya leaves, but they look like the spots commonly found on oncidium leaves. I have no clue what they are, but as long as they do not increase in numbers, I think it should be "ok".

The rest of them look like they are mechanical damage. They do not pose any harm, just cosmetic issue.

Lilac 10-11-2013 03:10 PM

That's like what was on my orange Catt had that I had first consulted here on this board about!

I didn't know what to do, so I just cut off all the affected leaves! and dabbed some cinnamon on the cuts.

Poor thing, that left two canes bare topped,they looked amputated!

The Catt is growing two new shoots now and seems healthy and no more black spots have appeared.

I never did find out what it was.

butterfly_muse 10-11-2013 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lilac (Post 618456)
That's like what was on my orange Catt had that I had first consulted here on this board about!

I didn't know what to do, so I just cut off all the affected leaves! and dabbed some cinnamon on the cuts.

Poor thing, that left two canes bare topped,they looked amputated!

The Catt is growing two new shoots now and seems healthy and no more black spots have appeared.

I never did find out what it was.

In passing looking at some other members' photographs, I have seen it on other cattleyas as well, so I think it might just be something they do? I don't know. I just want to make sure it isn't a fungus that can affect all of my plants, especially now that they are all grouped together in a giant cluster under lights for the winter, lol.

Lilac 10-11-2013 04:22 PM

It just may have been in my case, and might be nothing at all. So maybe just watch it for awhile and see? Or apply a little Physan and see?

I didn't know, so I freaked out immediately, but had it been now I would have just wiped it down with alcohol and just watched for awhile. Poor thing, every time I look at the amputated stumps I feel so guilty :(

I did have on hand,and it's all I could find in stores near me, Garden Safe Fungicide3 and I did spray the leaves with that also. I also made a solution with 1 Cipro tablet I had and poured it into the potting medium. Which I flushed the following week

Good luck and keep posting because it's good info to share :)

Lilac 10-11-2013 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
This is what mine looked like.

It came from the store with it,but I hadn't noticed until the next day.

There were like blackish smudges on the affected leaves also.

But as I said it's doing absolutely fine now,so...

butterfly_muse 10-11-2013 04:44 PM

Interesting. I have alcohol and I've got Physan 20 also, so. I wiped it with alcohol and I am just going to watch it and see what happens. I hope someone else maybe has an idea or will just come along and say "They do that it's nbd" lol.