Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Windowsill Growing (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/windowsill-growing/)
-   -   Orchid furniture - functional & pretty (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/windowsill-growing/72028-orchid-furniture-functional-pretty.html)

mexorchid 10-11-2013 12:43 PM

Orchid furniture - functional & pretty

10 Attachment(s)
:waving
I have almost finished furniture for my first orchids in Canada :bananaslide: It is a living room window (north/west). Initially I wanted something where my dog can't throw over the pots when he looks through the window... voila :)
The mosaic is made of spectrum glass & shale stone (the middle drawer is not yet finished). The furniture is on rolls and has holes on the bottom to pass cables to the inside, where I've installed a couple of plugs and 1 safeguard circuit for the heating cable (roof de-icing cable). If I want to move the furniture I only have to unplug 1 connection from the wall and roll the whole thing away.

The platform is waterproof and has a declination towards 1 corner to drain water easily. I would like to put a layer of something that conducts the heat to the pots but covers the cable; and keep this layer wet/partially flooded. Filling in water and installing a grid for the pots to stand on would be easy and hygienic... but the looks! And doesn't conduct the heat. Any ideas would be very much appreciated!!! :think2:
Someone already gave me the good tip to add a little Virkon to the water in the platform sometimes.

The orchids on the mount are doing specifically well and started growing new roots immediately.
The artificial light is almost not worth mentioning... I need to find a better solution.

naoki 10-11-2013 01:09 PM

Wow, very nice! I like your artsy mosaic work. How did you water proof it? Epoxy on plywood?

The heating cable sounds interesting. Do you use it because you keep the room cold? How many watts?
If you use HID lighting (HPS MH), then you may be able to solve the light and heat issue simultaneously.

mexorchid 10-11-2013 01:27 PM

Thank you!
It's a 30ft cable, 150W.
My small cattleyas had mold and fungus and people from the OB recommended me to keep the roots warmer and install a ventilator - it worked miracles!
I laminated the plywood (something that you would use to laminate your kitchen counter) and sealed the conjunctions and edges with silicone. Kind of like an aquarium.

naoki 10-11-2013 01:45 PM

Thanks for the info, the counter top (melamine or something like that, I guess) is an interesting idea. I've used elastomeric roofing paint to waterproof plywood (humidity tray), but your method is probably more durable.

Laserbeak 10-11-2013 01:48 PM

Wow, that looks really nice! I've just appropriated my bookshelves and another metal shelving unit (nice because it lets the light through the shelves, the other ones are all open, but the shelves themselves are solid wood). I inquired about getting some custom shelving built, but it was too expensive for me at this time. I'll post some pictures when everything is done.

EricaMarie 10-11-2013 01:59 PM

It looks great!!

mexorchid 10-11-2013 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by naoki (Post 618397)
Thanks for the info, the counter top (melamine or something like that, I guess) is an interesting idea. I've used elastomeric roofing paint to waterproof plywood (humidity tray), but your method is probably more durable.

I have absolutely no idea yet how durable that will be. It's my first experiment on the matter. My boyfriend had used it in humid areas and it lasted ages but no idea about submerging it constantly. The silicon seals should be fine tough, specifically since the temperature doesn't change much.

Looking forward to your pictures Laserbeak!

WhiteRabbit 10-11-2013 08:19 PM

Awesome!

nikkik 10-11-2013 09:12 PM

Very pretty and creative! Love it!

Ferns Daddy 10-11-2013 09:21 PM

Nice set up.