Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Contests & Polls (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/)
-   -   Do you ever buy orchids for their foliage? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/70905-buy-orchids-foliage.html)

Paul 09-02-2013 01:08 PM

Do you ever buy orchids for their foliage?

Twas just musing about this. I realize blooms are generally the name of the game. However, occasionally I find myself looking at a plant not for its blooms but rather because the foliage or growth habit is just so (in my opinion) attractive, unusual, or just plain cool -- and I'm not talking the jewel orchids here. It's what led me to trade for a Dockrilla cucumerina.

Thought I had created such a poll on OB years back, but can't find it if I did. So.............

AnonYMouse 09-02-2013 02:21 PM

Have you not witnessed the foliage craze going on in the Vanda/neo forums?

Jayfar 09-02-2013 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonYMouse (Post 603841)

Exactamundo! I'll just copy/paste/edit here from a previous post.

With Neofinetia, flowers are just icing on the cake. That's one of the things that first intrigued me before I started my collection. At Satomi's (of Seed Engei) presentation at SEPOS, when she explained that the major annual Fukiran judging event in Japan takes place at a time when the Neos are mostly not yet in bloom, a light went on in my head. :idea: With my Phal growing space often appearing as a near unbroken sea of green, I figured I should go with the flow and focus on a genus where it's the foliage (and root tips, tsuke, etc.) that matters above all else. ;)

So yes, I used to often unintentionally acquire plants for their leaves, now I do it on purpose. :D

For anyone who is not familiar with the growing Neofinetia/Fukiran orchid subculture, take a look around this section of Orchid Board:
Vanda Alliance - Neofinetia - Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

nikkik 09-02-2013 03:54 PM

Great poll! I typically buy plants because I like the foliage and/or growth habits. If I think the plant is boring when it's not in bloom, I either have to put it on a creative mount or I just won't buy it. I have to like the complete package in order to purchase a plant. F

Leafmite 09-02-2013 03:54 PM

Psychopsis Mendenhall 'Hildos' has cool, patterned leaves, the reason I bought it. :)

billc 09-02-2013 04:47 PM

The phals and paphs with mottled leaves are very attractive when not in bloom. But to purchase one just for the foliage ?? not sure that would be enough for me.
Although I do have some that are reluctant bloomers so the nice leaves are a bonus and possibly save them from the compost heap:).

Bill

Sharry 09-02-2013 06:59 PM

As an indoor grower, the plants are always on display, sopatterned leaves are nice so that they are still interesting when not in bloom. Also, the proportion of a plant is as important as the flowers to me.

slc 09-02-2013 08:41 PM

Dendrobium anceps comes to mind.

RosieC 09-03-2013 07:06 AM

I've only bought Jewel Orchids for the foliage.

However I have some I bought, that I've not got to flower. And I KEEP them for the foliage. Sometimes I just like the plant, regardless of the fact it's not bloomed.

Paul 09-03-2013 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AnonYMouse (Post 603841)

Nope. Vandas rarely impress me and Neos I kill just by looking at them. :rofl: So I almost never bother with the Vanda/Neo section of the forum.