Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Contests & Polls (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/)
-   -   One plant only please!! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/contests-and-polls/70841-plant-please.html)

nikkik 08-31-2013 01:24 PM

One plant only please!!

I know we've had polls about our favorite alliance, but I was looking at my orchids the other day and I was thinking about if I had to give up my entire collection and could only keep one plant what would it be?

My answer is my V. merrillii because it's species, I love the leaves, flower color and flower shape, and it's not in everyone's collection. I do have to say it was very hard to make a choice and I kept changing my mind! Lol! :rofl:

Since I know some of you have pretty massive collections, I thought this would be an I interesting poll. Here's the question: If you could only keep ONE orchid in your collection what would it be and why would you choose that plant?

TOMMYMIAMI 08-31-2013 01:44 PM

This is "IMPOSSIBLE" for me, I can't decide:-( I know that this is not rarest or most sought for plant, but I always admired Bulbophyllum Medusae, and when it is blooming, I go nuts, so my choice for today would be my Medusae:rofl:

Picotee 08-31-2013 02:02 PM

Easy for me. C aclandiae. Hands down my favorite. Exotic markings and lovely color, delicious fragrance, often blooms twice a year for me.

nikkik 08-31-2013 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYMIAMI (Post 603047)
This is "IMPOSSIBLE" for me, I can't decide:-( I know that this is not rarest or most sought for plant, but I always admired Bulbophyllum Medusae, and when it is blooming, I go nuts, so my choice for today would be my Medusae:rofl:

I agree that medusae is an awesome plant!! It is one of those plants that MAKES you stop to look at it, even if you're not an OA (orchid addict)!!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Picotee (Post 603058)
Easy for me. C aclandiae. Hands down my favorite. Exotic markings and lovely color, delicious fragrance, blooms twice a year.

It is a very pretty plant!

TOMMYMIAMI 08-31-2013 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nikkik (Post 603061)
I agree that medusae is an awesome plant!! It is one of those plants that MAKES you stop to look at it, even if you're not an OA (orchid addict)!!:biggrin:

---------- Post added at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:07 PM ----------

It is a very pretty plant!

I do love pretty much all my Bulbophyllums, I do remember when starting with orchids, I went to google and when I heard this species name I searched, opened the google page with pictures and thought I went to some "SPACE GARDENING" section - they all looked to me like they are out of the Earth plants - and that's how it started. Again, they are pretty much one of the cheaper plants I do have, but I love them, and Medusae is my #1 :-)

RJSquirrel 08-31-2013 09:14 PM

I havent grown my favorite yet. So Ill keep trying to grow them until I find my favorite . Got a snickers bar? :waving

Leafmite 08-31-2013 09:17 PM

If I could pick one plant, I wouldn't have all the others. :)

pipsxlch 08-31-2013 09:43 PM

LOL @ Leafmite!
And I DO have a little Snickers bar in the fridge RJ.*hands it over*
My first loves are the dens then catt alliance, esp. encyclias. However, I keep coming back to my Ascda. Dong Tarn 'Red'. Had it forever, and it just keeps on going and blooming.
Sorry Den. Autumn Lace x and Rhy, digbyana.

nikkik 09-01-2013 08:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TOMMYMIAMI (Post 603071)
I do love pretty much all my Bulbophyllums, I do remember when starting with orchids, I went to google and when I heard this species name I searched, opened the google page with pictures and thought I went to some "SPACE GARDENING" section - they all looked to me like they are out of the Earth plants - and that's how it started. Again, they are pretty much one of the cheaper plants I do have, but I love them, and Medusae is my #1 :-)

Bulbos are very interesting! So many unique flowers and scents!! Lol! I love the "space gardening" reference!:rofl:

---------- Post added at 08:26 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:21 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by pipsxlch (Post 603189)
LOL @ Leafmite!
And I DO have a little Snickers bar in the fridge RJ.*hands it over*
My first loves are the dens then catt alliance, esp. encyclias. However, I keep coming back to my Ascda. Dong Tarn 'Red'. Had it forever, and it just keeps on going and blooming.
Sorry Den. Autumn Lace x and Rhy, digbyana.

I had to look up your Ascda. Dong Tarn 'Red', I can see why you love it so much!! It is a gorgeous color.

katrina 09-01-2013 09:06 AM

Hands down....Brassavola nodosa!!
http://i405.photobucket.com/albums/p...psa265a07e.jpg

Neat and tidy grower...grows very well w/little fuss or muss...blooms multiple times a years...gorgeous white flowers that last a long time and that I will never find boring....and it smells AMAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAZING.

I love a lot of different orchids and would seriously have trouble eliminating most of the others but if I had to...yep, B nodosa would be the one that stays.