Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Buying dendrophylax lindenii flasks? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/69857-buying-dendrophylax-lindenii-flasks.html)

OrchidLoverSA 07-28-2013 06:25 AM

Buying dendrophylax lindenii flasks?

Hey guys, I need your opinions...

I really want to try dendrophylax lindenii and as I understand it, it is quite a tough customer. I'm sure I can meet its cultural requirements and I've recently contacted a seller that can sell me a flask of it.

Here's the problem: I've never dealt with flasks, or seedlings really for that matter. I have about 100 orchids and they thrive, but I just don't know how hard it is to take care of seedlings straight out of a flask.

What do you think? Should I give it a try with the guidance of the great minds of Orchid Board, or will I probably waste $50 on a flask of difficult orchids that will probably die to my inexperianced hands?

WhiteRabbit 07-28-2013 06:00 PM

Well... I've had a tough time with tiny seedlings in general, so I would be very hesitant to try a flask of anything, much less ghost orchids. But! If you have good conditions, I guess it would depend on how much $50 is to you. I know we have a few members who have managed to grow these from fairly small - hopefully they will chime in!

Bud 07-28-2013 07:41 PM

There is no harm in trying. It can be a learning experience for you.
Some might die and some might survive, but at least you tried to grow them from flask....

nikkik 07-28-2013 10:36 PM

I agree with WhiteRabbit and Bud, as long as 50 isn't going to break your bank I'd give it a try. Oak Hill gardens sells the ghost orchid at $18 (I think) plus shipping; these are only seedlings too! So for a couple extra bucks you may get more value from purchasing a flask.

I am growing my first seedlings out of a flask and they are doing very well. Plus, I like the fact that from out of the flask they started out in my growing environment. I figured if they went to orchid heaven then at least I tried to grow seedlings from out of a flask!

Salix 07-28-2013 11:34 PM

I've really wanted to try those too, but I'm scared I'd murder a gorgeous plant...

OrchidLoverSA 07-29-2013 06:04 AM

The vendor said it's $50 for a flask of 20 seedlings, does that sound a bit much? The other thing is it's a vendor I know and trust, so I would rather pay extra to know I'm getting good quality stuff. So I think I will try it, even if I murder them all that is a lesson in itself. And if I have 20 seedlings then I can always try different environments for them and see what works.

Salix 07-29-2013 06:55 AM

That's a really good way to look at it. Be sure to document it, and share your progress, I'm interested in seeing how it goes.

nikkik 07-29-2013 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OrchidLoverSA (Post 593493)
The vendor said it's $50 for a flask of 20 seedlings, does that sound a bit much? The other thing is it's a vendor I know and trust, so I would rather pay extra to know I'm getting good quality stuff. So I think I will try it, even if I murder them all that is a lesson in itself. And if I have 20 seedlings then I can always try different environments for them and see what works.

I think that the flask is a very fair price! It is much better to go with a vendor you know and trust. Since you have done the research and you're willing to try different environments, you're already off to a good start.

Good luck with your flask! Hopefully, you'll give us updates on how you're seedlings are doing.

hcastil3 07-30-2013 12:18 AM

its not impossible but, tricky that's all.

I bought a flask of 50+ seedlings, however I made the mistake of over babying them and killed many

there is a ton of info about these guys now in this forum. I found my Dendrophylax lindenii fawcettii and a couple of Chiloschista seem happy in an environment like the one below.

humid, NOT WET!!!! do not over baby them they are tougher than you think..

I keep mine anywhere form 67% to 93% humidity
temperature range between 68 F to 87 F
I do have air movement in an enclosed area(moving air without letting air from outside get in.)
mist them once every 2 days sometimes if I see them getting really dry I mist them once a day.

really weak fertilizer and Spanish moss over it..

but Please!!!!! do not Over baby them!!!!!!

I used a really weak solution of physan 20, good luck

and let me know if you end up getting it

---------- Post added at 10:18 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:11 PM ----------

Here is the post where I got a lot of help from Dendrophylax lindenii

Bud 07-30-2013 12:19 AM

I saw 20 seedlings in a flask sold at Ebay (USA) for $150.
You are getting a good deal especially from a trusted seller you already know.