Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Pests & Diseases (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/)
-   -   yellow orchid leafs (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/pests-and-diseases/69152-yellow-orchid-leafs.html)

sukydawn 06-30-2013 04:28 AM

yellow orchid leafs

Please help me, i don't know how to save my orchid, in the past 2 weeks it's leafs got yellow and eventualy died. Used to dunk the pot in whater as it explains on the tag, but it's healf is decreasing fast. I recived it in winter, and thought it got sun burned, since it started getting hot , moved it from the window, but still nothing. Zigopetalum says on it's tag.

I had some similar kinds like this 1, and thy both got yellow and died :(

Orchidflowerchild 06-30-2013 04:11 PM

how are you growing it? What temperatures? How often are you watering? How much light is it getting? WHat direction does the window face?

-Ceci

sukydawn 07-01-2013 03:57 AM

- temperature is around 25 C
- i water it every 2 weeks, once a month i use orchid minerals
- window is facing N-E direction
imageshack.us/a/img580/4633/8kap.jpg

---------- Post added at 02:57 AM ---------- Previous post was at 02:51 AM ----------

imageshack.us/photo/my-images/32/s1vo.jpg/

this is the tag it came with, i also had a similar type called cambria, it had the same fate :(. This 1 was doing fine, i think, and suddenly it's leafs started to deteriorate. I moved it from that window, now it has no direct sunlight.

RosieC 07-01-2013 09:01 AM

Zygopetalum can be very sensitive to water on the growths, and can rot and drop their leaves as a result.

I didn't realise on mine that that is what was happening until I ended up with a single leafless old bulb and nothing else :(

Discus 07-01-2013 09:16 AM

Zygopetalums on the whole seem to like quite a lot of water (but not to be soaking wet all the time) - which means only watering every two weeks might not be enough?

As Rosie suggests, try not to get much water on the leaves, particularly not down the middle of them.

http://imageshack.us/a/img580/4633/8kap.jpg
Looking at your picture (reproduced above), it's possible the dying growths are the old/sunburnt leaves - it looks like there's a second, new, growth at the back right which should now mature if you get your care conditions right. I don't think zygopetalums will much like direct sunlight, but they do seem to like "bright" light.

RosieC 07-01-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discus (Post 586075)
Zygopetalums on the whole seem to like quite a lot of water (but not to be soaking wet all the time) - which means only watering every two weeks might not be enough?

I actually grow the remains of mine in S/H with good success. I put the old bulb that was all I had left in a S/H pot and several years later I have 3 growths which are getting bigger with each successive one. It loves the wet when there is plenty of air, I'm just careful about water on the plant.

Discus 07-01-2013 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RosieC (Post 586081)
I actually grow the remains of mine in S/H with good success.

Mine has been sulking in LECA with a puddle of water at the bottom of the pot (semi-semi/hydro!?) , but I think it's starting to come right again. It has a number of new growths, which I'm happy about; its roots were quite sad when it was repotted from bark into LECA, so I imagine that's where the setback occurred.

sukydawn 07-03-2013 07:06 AM

The new growth stopped progresing when the older leafs got sun burned, or what ever happen. But after some thinking now i remember that the last time i watter it, i placed it under the pouring watter, with care so that the watter would not touch the plant's leafs or bulbs, is that a major mistake?
I will try to watter it once a week, do you think it would be ok if i do it by humidity ? or dunking it in whater (only half of the pot ) is better ?

Thank you very much for all the ideas :D i really apreciate your help.

brn_thmbs 07-03-2013 07:49 AM

I'm having the same issue with my ziggy right now... Got water down some of the new growths & 2 of 3 began to rot... :mad:
One was beyond saving & was removed & the other I'm fighting to save now. Live & learn I guess...

Best of luck!