Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   Maturing Ascda. Butterfly x V. Mary (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/69148-maturing-ascda-butterfly-mary.html)

CR7cristiano 06-29-2013 10:05 PM

Maturing Ascda. Butterfly x V. Mary

7 Attachment(s)
This is its second successive blooming. This is still a young plant; I got this not more than a year ago now and it has grown considerably. This is its 3rd spiking now. The first two set of blooms weren't very nice, they weren't very flat and seemed droopy. I even had an issue of blooms developing and getting really big but they didn't open without me physically separating the petals/sepals; they would stick shut. Not sure why.
This recent spike has been a lot better, blooms look nicer, a cpl blooms look to be quite flat, and some even seeming bigger in size, with better colour. I can see where the more it matures the better the flowers produced. The spike is massive! More than twice the height of the plant itself.
Enjoy.

dendro king 06-29-2013 10:42 PM

Nice!

Chatbud 06-30-2013 09:59 AM

Hi CR7cristiano
Can Ascocenda (in general) take full direct sun? Or is it more ideal to hang them in shade?

Pilot 06-30-2013 11:01 AM

Wow that's an incredible yellow! You should be proud to have it in your collection.

I probably shouldn't answer the sun question but direct sun is rarely ever a good thing. However vanda types love their sun and having it in high light but not direct sun seems to work well for most. I also found that vandas in general can handle all kinds of weather if they're fed and watered well.

CR7cristiano 06-30-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chatbud (Post 585805)
Hi CR7cristiano
Can Ascocenda (in general) take full direct sun? Or is it more ideal to hang them in shade?

They can only take full direct sun in the morning before the intense midday sunlight. Ascocendas generally require bit less light than your larger vandas & hybrids. This is why ascocendas are generally regarded as one of the few hybrid in the vandaceous family that can still be flowered when grown indoors with just enough light.
Ascocendas are still considered strap leaf vandas and thus can only manage 50% direct sun or dappled sun as its considered.

---------- Post added at 08:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 08:45 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pilot (Post 585814)
Wow that's an incredible yellow! You should be proud to have it in your collection.

Thanks a lot! I enjoy each and every one of my vandas. :biggrin:

WhiteRabbit 06-30-2013 10:34 PM

Beautiful! I love the color!

CR7cristiano 07-01-2013 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 585972)
Beautiful! I love the color!

Thanks Sonya! It almost has a lemon colour to it. :)

RosieC 07-01-2013 09:02 AM

Gorgeous colour!