Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Beginner Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/)
-   -   I divided my Oncidium I got yesterday. (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/beginner-discussion/68807-divided-oncidium-yesterday.html)

Skayc1 06-16-2013 06:52 AM

I divided my Oncidium I got yesterday.

2 Attachment(s)
1. The oncidium was so rootbound when I bought it, that it was too big for the one size up pot. & the roots were cramped even after repotting it, they had no room to grow, or breath.
2. I had two clear containers the same size.
3. One psuedobulb was growing in a different direction.
4. I decided I wanted 2 leave one of them with my mom. & have two plants, the plant had just stopped flowering right before I bought it.

MattWoelfsen 06-16-2013 09:06 AM

I hope both plants survive!

james mickelso 06-16-2013 10:16 PM

Now the secret will be to watch your watering. Oncids like to be moist but not wet. Their roots get rot very easily so water then allow to get almost dry before watering again. They also don't like to be repotted very often. They love to be rootbound. But because of this they stay wet underneath all those roots. So even though the top is dry don't be fooled. I lift the pot after it is watered well and then a few days later I lift it again. You will quickly learn when the plant needs water. In fact let it dry completely for a week, lift it, and then water it well. Now lift it again and you will instantly notice how heavy it is. These don't like to be over fed either. It burns the leaf tips quickly. But they are rewarding bloomers. Oh, and the reason the one pbulb was growing at an angle different than the others is because that is the oldest pbulb and the last time it was repotted the grower potted the newer growth vertically. It also means that the plant you got was a division and not a clone or grown from a seed.

Skayc1 06-17-2013 08:01 AM

Thanks!, so with oncidiums weight of the pot is usually how to tell if it needs watering? does the pbulb show signs as well?

WhiteRabbit 06-17-2013 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skayc1 (Post 582491)
Thanks!, so with oncidiums weight of the pot is usually how to tell if it needs watering? does the pbulb show signs as well?

I use bamboo skewers in all my orchid pots to gauge when to water. (Skewer method)

Skayc1 06-17-2013 07:42 PM

how do you prevent yourself from stabbing a root? I've read people do this, just am worried i'll stab a root.

WhiteRabbit 06-17-2013 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skayc1 (Post 582629)
how do you prevent yourself from stabbing a root? I've read people do this, just am worried i'll stab a root.

Just twist it in gently, and try to always put it back in the same spot to minimize potential root damage.