Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Miniatures Show & Tell (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miniatures-show-and-tell/)
-   -   Tolumnia sylvestris - the good news ... (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/miniatures-show-and-tell/68649-tolumnia-sylvestris-news.html)

WhiteRabbit 06-09-2013 11:05 PM

Tolumnia sylvestris - the good news ...

The good news is that my never blooming (five years!) Tolumnia sylvestris has a spike! (It did get a spike last year, but withered and died early on)

The bad news is that about 3 weeks ago, it had three spikes ... :p

When the first small bud disappeared, I noticed that plant had chewed on looking bits. After I soaked the plant in a cup, I saw a fat caterpillar on it! So, I removed him!

The next bud was just there one day, and gone the next ... It doesn't look chewed, but I guess something must have eaten it :((

Keep your fingers crossed for me and this spike please!

Oscarman 06-10-2013 01:23 AM

A caterpillar! Is it growing outside? What kind, something which will morph into a beautiful butterfly?

WhiteRabbit 06-10-2013 01:29 AM

Yes, the plant is outside. I don't know what kind of caterpillar, but it was a bigger one, so probably a nice butterfly. I'm not sure if it survived the soak I gave the plant, tho (plant is mounted) ... I do relocate caterpillars I find on orchids to other, bigger plants ;)

WhiteRabbit 06-22-2013 11:40 PM

update and photos

4 Attachment(s)
I moved this plant indoors to prevent the remaining spike from being eaten. I was worried the change might cause it to blast ... I'm not sure if there were two buds, and one blasted, or just the one bud to begin with - these are tiny! - but the spike is still going, bud getting bigger :)

I've spotted a couple more possible spikes, but I'm not certain they aren't keikis - have to wait and see ...

I've not been able to get a clear photo of the bud - just too tiny for my camera ...

isurus79 06-23-2013 01:25 PM

Holy cow, that plant is HUGE!!

Phal grower 06-23-2013 06:56 PM

Keep us posted rabbit. I have one that has refused to bloom.

WhiteRabbit 06-23-2013 08:45 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by isurus79 (Post 583982)
Holy cow, that plant is HUGE!!

Hehe - "huge" - not a word I would have associated with this species ;) But, I see what you mean - it has covered it's little twig quite well ...

I found a pic of it when I first got it, nearly five years ago ...

Orchids4ever 06-23-2013 08:56 PM

My Fingers are crossed !!!!

WhiteRabbit 06-23-2013 08:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Phal grower (Post 584044)
Keep us posted rabbit. I have one that has refused to bloom.

I got this in '08 - didn't get a spike until last year (but that withered without blooming) - I had gotten fed up with it, and left it outdoors all winter (mostly sheltered from rain, tho may have gotten a bit now and then - sheltered from frost, put in the garage if there was a chance of freeze), not watering it more than once a week - who knew it it would take that treatment quite well??? ... It had been outside since spring/summer of '11, until I just recently brought it inside hoping to save the remaining spike on it.

It now mostly gets a quick shower for water, rather than a soak, tho I have been soaking once a week, but stopping now - don't want to lose that bud!, haven't fertilized it in a quite some time. It's been going thru winter without fertilizer. The spike last year died after I started to fertilize - I really don't know if that's what caused the spike to abort - but, this year, I've not fertilized since I first saw spikes, and hadn't gotten fertilized over winter at all ...

I don't know - at least in my case, seems that less (less care - water, fert) is more ... :dunno:

I'll definitely keep everyone posted! Good luck with yours!

---------- Post added at 05:58 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:57 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Orchids4ever (Post 584072)
My Fingers are crossed !!!!

Thank you, Monika! :)

isurus79 06-23-2013 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 584071)
Hehe - "huge" - not a word I would have associated with this species ;) But, I see what you mean - it has covered it's little twig quite well ...

I found a pic of it when I first got it, nearly five years ago ...

Ha! Yes, I guess "huge" is a relative term! ;)