Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Advanced Discussion (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/)
-   -   Osmocote anyone? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/advanced-discussion/68601-osmocote.html)

NYCorchidman 06-07-2013 05:53 PM

Osmocote anyone?

For those who are not familiar with it, it is a time released fertilizer that comes in a small granulated form.

The product description claims that unlike other time released fertilizers that tend to release much of the content in the beginning causing too much fertilizer release at once, osmocote is designed to release slowly over the course of about 4 months.

It does not mention orchids on the label, but I read that some people who grow cymbidium and cattleyas use time release fertilizer (I don't know the brand names).

Anyone tried osmocote on orchids in bark, moss or even inert media???

BettyE 06-07-2013 06:05 PM

Since most of my orchids are in LECA, I would certainly be interested in Rays' opinion on this! Anyone else have their orchids in LECA...and have you used Osmocote? How do you measure to make sure you're putting the correct amount in say: a four inch pot?! Thanks...BettyE

cbuchman 06-07-2013 06:29 PM

I've used Osmocote on orchids in bark when they are summered outdoors and I am away. My empirical observation is that it doesn't do any harm, and is not as effective as other fertilizers.

coffeecup 06-07-2013 06:50 PM

I haven't used this myself, but have heard some Neofinetia growers in the US have tried it. I'm not sure of its success however.

Ordphien 06-07-2013 06:54 PM

I use it on all my outdoor cymbidiums and cattleyas. Which are in varying mixes of bark, perlite, and sphagnum moss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

james mickelso 06-07-2013 08:04 PM

I would think that using it with good results would depend on how you water as the granules release the fertilizer rather slowly. I used it with ok results on my bonsai for a few years but my method of watering my orchids wouldn't work well with it. I'd like to hear how others have used it and what they think.

NYCorchidman 06-08-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cbuchman (Post 580221)
I've used Osmocote on orchids in bark when they are summered outdoors and I am away. My empirical observation is that it doesn't do any harm, and is not as effective as other fertilizers.

Thank you for your input. So it does not burn the roots.
and it is useless?? How much did you use on which size pots???

---------- Post added at 12:09 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:07 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ordphien (Post 580229)
I use it on all my outdoor cymbidiums and cattleyas. Which are in varying mixes of bark, perlite, and sphagnum moss.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk 2

and what would you say about its effectiveness (results) compared to liquid fertilizer??

---------- Post added at 12:10 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:09 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by james mickelso (Post 580239)
I would think that using it with good results would depend on how you water as the granules release the fertilizer rather slowly. I used it with ok results on my bonsai for a few years but my method of watering my orchids wouldn't work well with it. I'd like to hear how others have used it and what they think.

What is your method of watering orchids?
and how do you water your bonsai?

WhiteRabbit 06-08-2013 12:11 AM

I have been advised that Nutricote and Dynamite are the pellet fertilizers to use (sustained release). Osmocote supposedly does not have the even, sustained release of Nutricote and Dynamite.

I use Nutricote mostly for Cyms - with fairly good results. I have started to also use some in bigger Catt and Laelia pots. Top dressed with the pellets.

jeremyinsf 06-08-2013 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by james mickelso (Post 580239)

I'm sort of with James. I used it with my bonsai for a few years also. But the way it broke down etc brought me to think it wouldn't work with orchid watering vs bonsai watering. My short take, without other better information, is there are a lot better choices out there for orchids.

NYCorchidman 06-08-2013 12:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 580315)
I have been advised that Nutricote and Dynamite are the pellet fertilizers to use (sustained release). Osmocote supposedly does not have the even, sustained release of Nutricote and Dynamite.

I use Nutricote mostly for Cyms - with fairly good results. I have started to also use some in bigger Catt and Laelia pots. Top dressed with the pellets.

Thanks for sharing!
Is there any particular reason as to why you only use them on certain orchids???

I should look into Nutricote and Dynamite then.

---------- Post added at 12:25 AM ---------- Previous post was at 12:23 AM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeremyinsf (Post 580323)
I'm sort of with James. I used it with my bonsai for a few years also. But the way it broke down etc brought me to think it wouldn't work with orchid watering vs bonsai watering. My short take, without other better information, is there are a lot better choices out there for orchids.

If time release fertilizer works well, then it is the best for me because I don't have to stress over when to fertilize and mixing and all that.

What better choices are you using??