Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Is this worth driving two hours for AOS judging? (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/67920-worth-driving-hours-aos-judging.html)

gotsomerice 05-09-2013 01:09 PM

Is this worth driving two hours for AOS judging?

1 Attachment(s)
It’s Cattleya intermedia var. coerulea. It has about 25 flowers. Natural spread of 7.5cm.

I am thinking of driving 100 miles to have it judged. Do you think it’s worth an award? I don’t want to waste two hours driving for this. What’s your opinion? Please help.

orchidsarefun 05-09-2013 01:48 PM

go for it.
Somebody got an AM ( 79 points ) for this cultivar in April 2012 - 35 flowers, 3 buds on 10 stems.

CR7cristiano 05-09-2013 02:17 PM

How else will you know if you don't go? :)

escualida 05-09-2013 02:27 PM

I definitely would, it looks great :)

Let us know what happens if you do

euplusia 05-09-2013 04:16 PM

I agree and definitely would go. The display is great.

isurus79 05-09-2013 07:30 PM

I would look up what the size of the past awarded flowers are first. If your flowers can get close to those sizes or larger, it might be worth it. For next year, I would stake and wire each bud as it grows so that there is no crowding of the flowers.

I personally would not take this one if it is considered a hassel to do so, but I would definitely take it next year after cleaning it up a bit. The presentation of the flowers this year is pretty messy, but the potential is there, especially if the natural spread of the flower is large and the shape holds up.

gotsomerice 05-09-2013 07:56 PM

So it's a standard practice to manipulate the flower positions for judging? I personally like the natural ways that the plant presented its flowers.

Thanks for the tip I think that I might have to save this for next year. (If it will flowered this nice).

CR7cristiano 05-09-2013 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomerice (Post 573276)
So it's a standard practice to manipulate the flower positions for judging? I personally like the natural ways that the plant presented its flowers.

Thanks for the tip I think that I might have to save this for next year. (If it will flowered this nice).

you should take it. There are several awards to be had. Isurus isn't exactly right. In the manual for how orchids are judged and the criteria it does specifically talk about flowers positioned in their natural state and never to touch petals etc or positioning of the flower from its natural growth habit. You should take your plant, because it is an experience and you will get tips from judges as to what they look for or what you can do next time. also don't use spray on leaf shine; its a no no as stated by the AOS. If you wait until the plant is a "spectacular" specimen you will never reach for judging.
Go; your not a judge so you won't find out any other way.

isurus79 05-09-2013 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gotsomerice (Post 573276)

There are rules about manipulating the flowers, but one thing judges hate to see is crowded flowers. They would definitely mark against that.

---------- Post added at 07:26 PM ---------- Previous post was at 07:16 PM ----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by CR7cristiano (Post 573277)
You should take your plant, because it is an experience and you will get tips from judges as to what they look for or what you can do next time.

This is also very true and is good advice! I don't think you'll win and award this year, but having judges actually look at your plant and giving you tips might be worth it.

Be sure to find out the schedule of the show too. Many time judging takes place at night and can run pretty late, which may or may not be a concern of yours. Most judges are very friendly and are eager to talk about plants. Good luck and let us know what you do! :waving

CR7cristiano 05-09-2013 08:33 PM

I have a friend who is an AOS judge; I will ask him what is a big mark down for them. :biggrin:
But the experience is everything. You will learn a lot. Now if i just happen to have blooms when they are judging or for my next bloody orchid society meeting! lol :blushing: