Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Vanda Alliance - others (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/)
-   -   V. Amy (V. tricuspidata x V. Hookeriana) Rare (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/vanda-alliance-others/67846-amy-tricuspidata-hookeriana-rare.html)

CR7cristiano 05-06-2013 10:55 PM

V. Amy (V. tricuspidata x V. Hookeriana) Rare

5 Attachment(s)
The start of the blooming season has begun for this gorgeous hybrid. This is quite a rare hybrid due to its even rarer parent tricuspidata. Spikes are only just starting to open. I certainly will update with pics of all the spikes open. I have a very large bunch staked in a new bed i am preparing for purely Vandas; this is a large specimen that is slowly but surely becoming a wall of terete vandas and soon a sea of flowers. I can't wait! :biggrin:

Carpe Diem 05-06-2013 11:05 PM

Unusual and pretty colors! To me it looks like a lady, arms raised and a big head dress. Maybe one of the Ziegfeld Follies? :lol:

CR7cristiano 05-06-2013 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carpe Diem (Post 572336)
Unusual and pretty colors! To me it looks like a lady, arms raised and a big head dress. Maybe one of the Ziegfeld Follies? :lol:

I can definitely see where you're coming from with the reference :)
Quite a sexy elegance indeed! :biggrin:

FSUOrchids 05-07-2013 08:21 AM

Wow, that's really unique. Haven't seen anything like that before.

CR7cristiano 05-07-2013 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FSUOrchids (Post 572413)
Wow, that's really unique. Haven't seen anything like that before.

It really is quite elegant and interesting to see such a large bloom relative to its 1/8th inch thick spike. When they open in profusion is when it really gets you!

WhiteRabbit 05-07-2013 06:37 PM

Awesome!

CR7cristiano 05-07-2013 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhiteRabbit (Post 572571)
Awesome!

Thank you! :biggrin:

CR7cristiano 05-08-2013 08:15 PM

9 Attachment(s)
Here are some more pics!

Bud 05-08-2013 10:55 PM

Beautiful color and form.
I love that your terette Vanda is growing into a large hedge....you are getting more flowers too.
My plant is also coming up with buds and I can already detect a slight fragrance.

CR7cristiano 05-09-2013 12:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bud (Post 572947)
Beautiful color and form.
I love that your terette Vanda is growing into a large hedge....you are getting more flowers too.
My plant is also coming up with buds and I can already detect a slight fragrance.

I only took a pic of the top part; it actually is a lot thicker and wider as u move further down the large bundle. These are the tallest points. Just to give you some perspective, I am 6'7" tall and the part with the blooms is level and even a smidget taller than me at a cpl points. I have it on a 6ft+ stake on a stone and charcoal bed with a mesh fencing surrounding it creating a 3 foot in diameter boundary and it fills it out fully. It really is a thick specimen; I just have to constrain it to the wall so I can train it to grow up and sideways along the wall to create a fence/wall of orchids. :biggrin:
I did try to check for fragrance but i couldn't smell anything, but this was in the afternoon; most fragrance is apparent in the early mornings so I will check tomorrow morning. I'll take a full length shot to show the entire thing.