Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web !

Orchid Board - Most Complete Orchid Forum on the web ! (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/)
-   Cattleya Alliance (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/)
-   -   Lc Canhamiana semi-alba & SLC Ann Komine 'Breathless' (http://www.orchidboard.com/community/cattleya-alliance/67745-lc-canhamiana-semi-alba-slc-ann-komine-breathless.html)

DavidCampen 05-01-2013 10:48 PM

Lc Canhamiana semi-alba & SLC Ann Komine 'Breathless'

2 Attachment(s)
The 1st photo is of Lc Canhamiana. I purchased it from Carter&Holmes last June. This is a primary hybrid of C. mossiae and L. purpurata. According to the Carter&Holmes catalog it was supposed to be "Very fragrant" but I have not been able to detect any fragrance.

The 2nd photo is of SLC Ann Komine 'Breathless'. It is a complex hybrid of at least half a dozen species. I purchased this from Carter&Holmes in November of 2011. It was supposed to have "Fragrance is a combination of gardenia and baby powder" acording to the C&H catalog.
I find only a faint smell of gardenia and citrus.

Leafmite 05-02-2013 01:12 AM

Sorry to hear they are not as fragrant as expected...especially since I bought an Ann Komine. Did the blooms just open?

DavidCampen 05-02-2013 09:23 AM

The Ann Komine flowers opened 2 weeks ago and are now starting to senesce. The Canhamiana flowers opened 2 days ago.

tucker85 05-02-2013 09:33 AM

They're both beautiful! I think Carter & Holmes is a very good vendor and breeder. As far as fragrance, I haven't found any vendor who I can trust when describing fragrance. Maybe fragrance is a very personal preference. I like outdoor orchid shows where I can judge the fragrance for myself.

tuvoc 05-02-2013 09:53 AM

Nice. Canhamiana is one of my favorite primaries. As to scent, I have a few 'very fragrant' orchids that I can't detect ANY scent on, so who knows.

Kim

WhiteRabbit 05-02-2013 05:24 PM

Beautiful!

CR7cristiano 05-02-2013 11:30 PM

I love the canhamiana! Crosses with this in the mix really have lovely form. :)

RosieC 05-09-2013 09:02 AM

Both really lovely!

james mickelso 05-11-2013 08:46 PM

Both are very nice. I am partial to the reds but like white with red. Even zygos can be fragrant in one flower and the one right next to it has none. I have theories but that's all they are. They work for me and that's all that matters. These are lovely.

Leafmite 05-15-2013 08:14 AM

James, I would love to know your theories. I have noticed that some bloomings of certain orchids have more fragrance than others as well and immediate temperatures/humidity have no impact. I grow fruit and grapes so I have come to understand how different factors influence the flavor of the various fruits but the orchid scents remain a mystery. My roses and other flowers always have the same lovely fragrance, even if I find a clone somewhere else.
Thank you for any suggestions you might have, James.